Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Deftone
New Contributor

Phase2 selectors

HI,

Just a quick question..

When will you use phase 2 selectors like 0.0.0.0 -> 0.0.0.0 and when wil you specify the local and remote subnet?

Is there a rule for that? Which one is preffered while building en IPSec?

Or is 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 used only while building IPSec between Fortigates?

Just crossing my mind...

4 REPLIES 4
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

It really matters  when you use it, but both side needs to be configured the same.

thoughts 

1> when you use 0.0.0/0:0  ( aka quad 0s ) you loose the ability to get per src/dst SA flows details

2> many  host of firewall support quad 0s, fortigate, juniper, chkp, strongswan, forcepoint, etc.......

3> why you might do quad0s over specific src/dst subnet-pair,  Is due to the remote-side only supports quad0s ( ie like a cloud-provider ) or if you want to run a dynamic-routing protocol and will send various different networks across the tunnel

4> if you only want one ipsec-SA for monitoring purposes vrs trying to monitor up/down over X amount if vpn-tunnels

5> or if you want simpler configuration overall 

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Deftone
New Contributor

Ok thanks for the reply... So even if I choose for the simpler configuration and use quad 0s on my Fortigate the other side must also support it and use it inside their P2.. Am I correct?

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, as Ken stated at the beginning. Both sides need to have the same selector sets. 0/0<->0/0 is not an exception.

Yurisk
Valued Contributor

For example Checkpoints do NOT support 0.0.0.0 selectors by default (i.e in 99% of deployments), only via VTI interfaces .  

I, personally, unless explicitly required (e.g. VPN with AWS/Azure you have to use it or when using dynamic routing between peers), prefer specific selectors - just removes another weak link in the possible chain of failures.  

If you are sure you will be setting up VPN between Fortigates only for ever after, then no problem - between Fortigates it works just fine.

Yuri https://yurisk.info/  blog: All things Fortinet, no ads.
Yuri https://yurisk.info/ blog: All things Fortinet, no ads.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors