Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
wowhsieh
New Contributor

Console prompt ... BCM.0>

When Fortiswitch power on, the console eventually prompt a BCM.0>, but not prompt Login, how to fix that?

3 REPLIES 3
mhepburn_FTNT

That unit appears to not have the correct images on it, and will need to be reprogrammed. Please contact your sales rep to have it RMA'd. Could you also send me the serial number of the unit in a private message? I would like to flag it so we can determine how the unit went out in this state. You could also let the sales rep know that we want to flag the unit for special analysis. Apologies for the inconvenience.

wowhsieh

Is it possible that via TFTP or some other way to upload firmware? 

(which like this document describe)

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/661127/Fortinet-5003a.html?page=23

mhepburn_FTNT

TFTP upload is possible but not via the OS with that image, it would have to be via the BIOS, and would depend on if you have the correct BIOS loaded as well.

When the unit first boots do you see an output like:

FortiSwitch-448D-FPOE (15:55-10.25.2017) BIOS version : 04000017 Serial number: S448DFTF18003126 Please wait for OS to boot, or press any key to display configuration menu...

If not then it will definitely have to be RMA'd. IF you do see a similar output then you should be able to burn a new image via the BIOS as follows:

1. Wait for this output, then press any key as directed (I suggest rapidly tapping spacebar as the unit boots): FortiSwitch-448D-FPOE (15:55-10.25.2017) BIOS version : 04000017 Serial number: S448DFTF18003126 Please wait for OS to boot, or press any key to display configuration menu...  1 2. (Optional) I suggest formatting your flash using the F command in this particular case, but this is not normally needed: :  Get firmware image from TFTP server. :  Format boot device. :  Copy boot device to another one. :  Configuration and Information. :  Upgrade BIOS image. :  Reboot FortiSwitch. :  Quit menu and continue to boot. :  Display this list of options. Format partition Default/Backup/Data2:[D/B/S]? b Formating Backup partition ... 100% Enter G,F,C,I,U,R,Q,or H: f Format partition Default/Backup/Data2:[D/B/S]? s Formating Data2 partition ... 100% Enter G,F,C,I,U,R,Q,or H: f Format partition Default/Backup/Data2:[D/B/S]? d Formating Default partition ... 100% Enter G,F,C,I,U,R,Q,or H: 3. Use the "G" command to fetch an image via TFTP over the "mgmt" port and burn it as the default image with "D":

Enter G,F,C,I,U,R,Q,or H: g Enter TFTP server address [192.168.100.3]: 192.168.100.33 Enter local address [192.168.100.99]: Enter local netmask [255.255.255.0]: Enter default gateway [192.168.100.1]: Enter firmware image file name [FSW_448D_FPOE-v6-build0202-FORTINET.out]: FSW_448D_FPOE-v6-build0425-FORTINET.out Save as Default/Backup/Run without saving:[D/B/R]? d Loading [ 0, 0 ]  Wait...Loading [ 1489920, --- ]

4. The unit should download the image, and after that boot up as normal. If not please check the following:

- the "mgmt" port of the unit is connected to the appropriate network  - the TFTP server address is correct and the server is functioning  - the address, netmask, and default gateway are all correct and suitable for reaching the TFTP server  - the firmware image is correct for the model and not corrupted. If there is an issue with the image there should generally be a message explaining it, such as "Image does not match platform 'S448DF'.". Further notes:  - Please be careful, if you accidentally use run ("R") instead of default or backup, the unit should boot up, but no image will be saved to flash (it is only run from RAM without changing flash). In this case make sure to burn an image via the normal exec commands from within the OS (using the instructions you linked to) before the unit is rebooted. If not you will have to reburn the image from the BIOS following the steps above.  - if your BIOS does not appear as above, you will need to RMA.  - if you are successful could you please still private message me your serial number. I would like to determine how this unit came to you in this state, so that we can avoid anyone else experiencing this inconvenience.

Thanks and good luck!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors