Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
daddum
New Contributor

High Availability Question

i want to use a 100F in HA mode but the 2 devices will at opposite ends of a long building so i was going to run the HA over fibre but the HA ports are RJ45 (ethernet) can i use any port for HA or will i have to run Cat5/6 for the HA?

1 Solution
TecnetRuss

Confirming what PTM said, you don't have to use the HA ports and on models with a single HA port you usually assign another unused port as your 2nd HA heartbeat interface.  You can use a mixture of copper and fiber between the two HA links if you want but two fiber lines would probably work best for you.

Your WAN and LAN uplinks on both 100F's must also be identical of course.

Russ NSE7

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I think so. Because when I get in a 1500D then get in HA config (config sys ha) then typed "set hbdev ?", it shows all ports as options including SFP ports.

PTM
New Contributor II

You have a few options, including: * Use/Run dedicated CAT5/6, and use HA1 and HA2. * Use dedicated VLANs on your active network for HA, and use HA1 and HA2. * Use media converters, and use HA1 and HA2. * Use any port (fibre or otherwise) for HA (bear in mind that theoretically you can saturate the NP which could impact your HA communications). Pete
TecnetRuss

Confirming what PTM said, you don't have to use the HA ports and on models with a single HA port you usually assign another unused port as your 2nd HA heartbeat interface.  You can use a mixture of copper and fiber between the two HA links if you want but two fiber lines would probably work best for you.

Your WAN and LAN uplinks on both 100F's must also be identical of course.

Russ NSE7

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors