Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
championc
New Contributor

BGP Routes not arriving at Remote Site Fortigate

Hi all,

I'm running 2 x VPNs between our HQ site (2 separate devices and two IPS's) and a remote site (Single FTG).  Both VPN's are up and perfect.  The Primary site runs eBGP and routes are being advertised in both directions (with an AD of 20).  We are running iBGP on the secondary backup VPN so it will have a less preferential AD (of 200).

However, if I run "get router info routing-table database" on the remote site, I only see the eBGP routes.  But on the HQ side, I get my AD 20 routes on one device and the AD 200 routes on the other

We dropped the Primary tunnel.  The Secondary Backup one is up, BGP state is Established and HQ is learning the routes from the remote site, but the remote site will not learn the routes from the HQ.

On HQ, on the cli, i've typed "get router info bgp neighbor 192.168.x.x advertised-routes" and the routes I plan to advertise are in there.  At the remote site, it has no BGP routes from the secondary HQ device.

Is there any other way of diagnosing as to what the issue might be ?  It has me baffled

2 REPLIES 2
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

yes I would  1st look at adv and recv per peer

e.g

get router info bgp neighbor 1.1.1.1  (advertised-routes|received prefix-filter|received-routes|routes)

Than you confirm route-table, the RIB is not always the best think to look at for the BGP routes learn but for what routes installed in the RIB., imho.

Query the neighbor HQ and RECV to see what you sent and what was received at the far end.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
championc

Thanks for the reply Ken,

So on my HQ, I have done "get router info routing-table all" but the routes are not there.  I should be seeing the routes with a [200/0] AD.  When I ran the same command on the Primary VPN unit, I got the routes correctly with the [20/0] AD.

I tried "get router info bgp neighbor 1.1.1.1 received-routes" but I get an error "% Inbound soft configuration not enabled".  However, I get exactly the same message from the Primary VPN BGP (which is receiving the networks)

Obviously, since the remote site is only a single device, the list of networks listed within the BGP section of the config will be common to both VPN's.  There are no prefix-lists or route-maps configured on the remote ends.  There are route maps configured on the HQ end and there are identical between both HQ units 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors