Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Eugene_Belyayev
New Contributor

Set up vpn interface behind NAT

Hello there. I'm trying to set up a VPN tunnel with the interface behind NAT. Our main connection uses PPoE interface which is basically directly connected to FortiGate, it works fine. The backup connection though is behind ADSL modem, so it uses a private IP as a source, I made a port forwarding for 500 and 4500 from ADSL modem, but it's still down. I'd really appreciate any help, since i'm not a network engineer and i'm kinda new to the fortignet. Here are the diag commands:

diag vpn ike gateway

vd: root/0 name: BACKUP_Connection_btk version: 1 interface: wan1 5 addr: 192.168.100.2:500 -> 3*.**.***.***:500 created: 20s ago IKE SA: created 1/1 IPsec SA: created 0/0 id/spi: 22767 796fed2d927050f4/0000000000000000 direction: initiator status: connecting, state 3, started 20s ago

diag vpn tunnel list

name=BACKUP_Connection_btk ver=1 serial=5 192.168.100.2:0->3*.**.***.*** dst_mtu=0 bound_if=5 lgwy=static/1 tun=intf/0 mode=auto/1 encap=none/536 options[0218]=npu create_dev frag-rfc accept_traffic=0 proxyid_num=1 child_num=0 refcnt=9 ilast=23 olast=23 ad=/0 stat: rxp=0 txp=0 rxb=0 txb=0 dpd: mode=on-demand on=0 idle=20000ms retry=3 count=0 seqno=0 natt: mode=none draft=0 interval=0 remote_port=0 proxyid=MSQtoCER350_btk proto=0 sa=0 ref=1 serial=3 src: 0:10.100.0.0/255.255.0.0:0 dst: 0:10.31.0.0/255.255.0.0:0 0:10.0.19.0/255.255.255.0:0 0:10.1.19.0/255.255.255.0:0 0:10.198.0.0/255.255.0.0:0 0:10.55.1.0/255.255.255.0:0 0:10.31.18.0/255.255.255.0:0

Thank you! Eugene Belyayev IT Administration

Thank you! Eugene Belyayev IT Administration
13 REPLIES 13
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Looks like one way. You need to run IKE debugging in the KB.

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD46611

That would tell if it's receiving something, or nothing.

sw2090
Honored Contributor

Also you should check if your wan interface has a static wan ip or not. If not you have to use some dyndns service because the client needs a static remote gateway. If your FGT is using Fortinet DNS Servers you could do that with the built in FortiDDNs service.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
sw2090
Honored Contributor

Also you should check if your wan interface has a static wan ip or not. If not you have to use some dyndns service because the client needs a static remote gateway. If your FGT is using Fortinet DNS Servers you could do that with the built in FortiDDNs service.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
sw2090
Honored Contributor

-- 

sw2090
Honored Contributor

-- 

sw2090
Honored Contributor

-- 

James_G
Contributor III

Is your backup link dedicated to just this fortigate, if so I would swap the router for a Draytek vigor 130 modem and just have a pppoe connection.

Thoughts?

sw2090
Honored Contributor

hm I am removing the pppoe direct connections and replace those modems by Lancom Routers that do pppoe on their dsl interface and connect to my FGTs via ethernet.

IPSec works fine with that. You only need the Portforwards (500 udp for IPSec and 4500 udp for NAT Traversal) if you want to be abele to establish the vpn from outside.

For the FGTs ability to establish it from inside they don't matter.

You just need policies and maybe routes or een do ipsec mode config if you don't want all traffic to go over the tunnel.

-- 

James_G
Contributor III

Does that still use main mode IKE when you pass through NAT?

Edit - poss not an issue with IKE v2

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors