Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
James_G
Contributor III

Sizing help.

Hi,

I have some 300D units that I am replacing - due to discounts it cheaper to replace than just pay for support. My options are to replace with 100F or 400E, either saves money, obviously the 100F saves more!

My issue is the 300D is totally over sized, it runs at 50mbs max throughput, 30k sessions, 300 session creation per second, 0% CPU and 43% memory. But I have 500 users, so previous logic says 400e is the unit sized for user count.

How do I address this inconsistency in sizing?

1 REPLY 1
brycemd
Contributor II

Well, 50 Mbps, 30k sessions and 300 session per second is next to nothing. Based on your requirements the 100F eclipses everything you need by quite a large margin. Even a 60F can handle that without batting an eye.

I've only deployed 2-3 100F's so far, but the F series have quite a significant performance jump over the E series. Yes, 400E is still more powerful, but there's a pretty stark difference between 100E and 100F. The 100F is actually more comparable to the 300D than the 400E is.

Unless there's some cap you are hitting with FortiAPs or FortiSwitches, I don't see a reason you would need a 400E

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors