Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
techguy1975
New Contributor

Fortigate & Google Home

Hello,

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this question, and I will say upfront I am somewhat of a novice with Fortigate.   I am running a Fortigate 60D,  I have two vlans, a private network for my PCs and an IoT VLAN where all my Google speakers connect  to.  I'd like to me able to manage/cast to my Google devices from the private network.  I've tried adding a policy to allow MDNS traffic between the two networks, but I'm not sure I set it up right.   Can someone please help with a step-by-step guide on how to set this up? Thanks!!

3 REPLIES 3
sw2090
Honored Contributor

hm the easiest way might be:

incomig interface: PC vlan

outgoing interface: IoT vlan

source: PC vlan subnet

destination: IoT vlan subnet

service: all/any

Allow

no NAT

this will allow any traffic from your PCs to the IoT as long as the PCs and IoT devices both use your Fortigate as default gateway.

If you want to make it finer you would have to know what services are needed and maybe create them on the Fortigate if they don't yet exist.

I just found this article about firewalls and google cast: https://blog.g3rt.nl/allow-google-chromecast-host-firewall-iptables.html . This at least has ports and protocols needed for it.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
techguy1975

Thanks,  but that didn't seem to do the trick.   I did some research on this before, and if I recall correctly, Google uses MDNS for at least Chromecasts.   Not sure about stuff like Google Home/Mini

lobstercreed

You're correct, Bob.  I initially tried to do this myself but gave up for other reasons.  (I believe a routing issue with the Google Wifi mesh I was using on one side). 

Anyway I'm pretty sure you're on the right track with that MDNS stuff for two VLANs that have layer 2 connectivity to the FortiGate.  - Daniel

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors