Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dgalazv
New Contributor

ippse vpn crashes due to non-use

Hello, I hope you are well, I need your help on my fortinet 100D equipment, I have several tunnels raised, but there are times when the client does not generate traffic and the tunnel falls, I cannot make the tunnel stay up always, can you help us please
4 REPLIES 4
sw2090
Honored Contributor

I'd suggest enabling NAT-T on these and make it send keep alive packets to avoid that.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
sw2090
Honored Contributor

I'd suggest enabling NAT-T on these and make it send keep alive packets to avoid that.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
sw2090
Honored Contributor

sorry for triple post that was due to this forums damn time limits :\

-- 

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

When you say tunnels, how long are your rekey timers? What you could do is set a extremely long phase1 and phase2 timers for  the SAs.

i.e all of these settings can be done from CLI

ph1

172800 /* that's max value in fortiOS 6.2.4  do not think it has changed of the last few years

set keylife 172800

ph2

set keylifeseconds  86400

set keepalive enable

And they monitor? Keep in mind DPD if used, is going to tear down the tunnels if it indicates a failure. So if your remote-vpn stops sending traffic and the higher up IPSEC-SAs times out and no auto-KeepAlives your tunnel will died.

And lastly be aware of DPD support and lack of in the forticlient if that is your dialup-ipsec-client assuming we are talking dialup vpns. Difference types of vpnclients  ( windows vrs macosx ) and version seems to play a big part if DPD does work or not.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors