Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
mbence84
New Contributor

Ransomeware protection using DLP

After reading the below thread I was wondering if it is possible to do the same with a Fortigate and if so how. Read the article below for finer detail but in summary if you have a windows file server you can block access to the folder to prevent ransomware encryption via shared drives etc. There are a feature called  FSRM so basically what you do is you add dummy files/folders at the start,end and between your actual files and if anyone one edit them that person/IP will get disconnected. So the idea is if a persons computer would have been compromised and the encryption is done on shared drive it will typically start alphabetical either from the top or bottom etc. When this FSRM detect a edit/change on any files it will disconnected and block that user session. So i was thinking how can this be done with a Fortigate. i have been looking into this but i am at the very early stage of this so would be great to have some other engineers also brainstorming this. I was thinking DLP could be one such feature where you create these files and use DPL to detect any changes on these files and depending on that action a block etc. Perhaps create a signature to detect a command to certain destination files to update or change on a IPS policy or something. Hoping for some feedback.

https://medium.com/savagesec/minimizing-ransomware-risk-with-fsrm-847d70f6212b

1 REPLY 1
The_Gamer
New Contributor

I have read the article you have mention. Data security is our first preortity. So DLP is best solution for this

fastpeoplesearch is web base search engine where we can search for our family members easily. There is no other website like fast people search

fastpeoplesearch is web base search engine where we can search for our family members easily. There is no other website like fast people search
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors