Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MKU_Braincube
New Contributor

IPSec S2S tunnel to Azure: Additional SSL-VPN connectivity not working

Hi all

Maybe you can give me a hint with the following situation:

We've setup an IPSec S2S connnection from our local FortiGate to Azure (virtual gateway, not a full FortiGate Virtual Appliance), following the cookbook: https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/5.4.0/cookbook/587640

This worked like a charm so far, great :)

Now I tried to add the ability to dial into our local network via the existing SSL-VPN connection (FortiClient) and then access the ressources on the remote side of the IPSec tunnel.

I tried this cookbook as references, but as it's not Fortigate-to-Fortigate, the Wizard won't provide the same settings: https://cookbook.fortinet.com/ssl-vpn-to-ipsec-vpn-56/index.html

Basically it's not working, I can't ping an Azure ressource via SSL-VPN remotely, while I can ping it from our local network.

I have checked:

1. Additional policies for SSL-VPN --> IPSec tunnel and back 2. A static route that routes everything for the Azure subnet range down the IPSec tunnel 3. In the SSL-VPN Portal Split Tunneling settings, the Azure subnet range is in the "Routing Address" table, together with the local address range 4. In the IPSec VPN tunnel I changed the "Phase 2 Selectors" from 0.0.0.0 - 0.0.0.0 to two new selectors: "Local to Azure" and "SSLVPN to Azure". Both selectors show Status "Up".

I don't really have a clue about phase 2 selectors though.. I tried to deduce this from the second cookbook, where the wizard was used - so I assume I might have gotten something wrong there? I'm not all certain about the various Encryption/Authentication pairs and the other settings there. 

Any help or hints would be appreciated!

Thank you guys & stay safe

2 Solutions
brycemd
Contributor II

Have you added the subnet of the SSLVPN to the Azure local gateway so it negociates it in ipsec tunnel?

Everything else sounds correct based on what you listed. You really only need 3 things to make this happen:

1. Routing - Sounds like this is setup properly by adding the Azure subnet to the client routes

2. IPV4 Policy - Sounds like this is setup properly based on you saying you created SSL > Ipsec and reverse rules

3. Phase 2 - It sounds like the fortigate side is setup properly, but you don't mention adding SSL VPN subnet to Azure side

View solution in original post

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You need policy and phase2 for the SSLvpn client ranges

diag debug flow # is your friend

on phase2 look for the src subnet in the vpn tunnel details

e.g

diag vpn tunnel list name <azure-tunnel-ph1-name>  | grep -i 'src:\|dst:'

if the SSLVPN does not match the proxy-id you need to get that sorted out 1st.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
3 REPLIES 3
brycemd
Contributor II

Have you added the subnet of the SSLVPN to the Azure local gateway so it negociates it in ipsec tunnel?

Everything else sounds correct based on what you listed. You really only need 3 things to make this happen:

1. Routing - Sounds like this is setup properly by adding the Azure subnet to the client routes

2. IPV4 Policy - Sounds like this is setup properly based on you saying you created SSL > Ipsec and reverse rules

3. Phase 2 - It sounds like the fortigate side is setup properly, but you don't mention adding SSL VPN subnet to Azure side

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You need policy and phase2 for the SSLvpn client ranges

diag debug flow # is your friend

on phase2 look for the src subnet in the vpn tunnel details

e.g

diag vpn tunnel list name <azure-tunnel-ph1-name>  | grep -i 'src:\|dst:'

if the SSLVPN does not match the proxy-id you need to get that sorted out 1st.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
MKU_Braincube

Hi Brycemd

That actually did the trick. I didn't think about the Azure side also needing to know about the second "local" subnet.

Thank you very much for your swift help!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors