Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
kenny
New Contributor

Redundant Internet is using wan2 instead of wan1

I setup a redundant Internet on my 100e using the cookbook. I setup the link monitor and stuff too. 

I set all of this up on monday night, and when I came in this morning, I noticed the backup internet's ip in the logs of something I was working on. So I did Whatsmyip and it seems that it is using Wan2, which is the backup, as a primary. 

I am looking in the GUI for where to change the weight/priority/distance and I can't find it. I saw those options when I initially configured it I thought, at least I saw priority and im pretty sure I made the primary 5 and the secondary 10. But clearly I did something wrong. 

I am running 6.0.5 Build0268 (GA) btw.

I know the problem is that I have one of the above things wrong, its weight, priority, distance, or something. 

I cant find where to change it, and I dont know the CLI commands to show me the current settings or change the current settings. Can someone tell me the commands to check the settings and change them as needed in the CLI?

I only want WAN2 to be used if Wan1 has an outage. 

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/viewContent.do?externalId=FD32103

"get router info routing-table" command in the KB is the one you want to check first. You must have put two static default routes to both wan1 and wan2 with either different distances or priorities. My guess is something has happened to the circuit on wan1 to go down overnight. So likely your config worked as intended for the failover part. The question is 1) if the circuit has come back up yet, and 2) if that's the case, why it didn't fail back.

But you really need read what's in the log that would tell you what exactly happened at night.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/viewContent.do?externalId=FD32103

"get router info routing-table" command in the KB is the one you want to check first. You must have put two static default routes to both wan1 and wan2 with either different distances or priorities. My guess is something has happened to the circuit on wan1 to go down overnight. So likely your config worked as intended for the failover part. The question is 1) if the circuit has come back up yet, and 2) if that's the case, why it didn't fail back.

But you really need read what's in the log that would tell you what exactly happened at night.

kenny

Nothing went down overnight. 

this is the log from the link-monitor

rs ago  Static route on interface wan1 may be added by link-monitor wan1. Route: (70.163.74.13->8.8.4.4 ping-up)Routing information changed27 hours ago  Static route on interface wan1 may be removed by link-monitor wan1. Route: (70.163.74.13->8.8.4.4 ping-down)Routing information changed3Yesterday  Static route on interface wan1 may be added by link-monitor wan1. Route: (70.163.74.13->8.8.4.4 ping-up)Routing information changed4Yesterday  Static route on interface wan1 may be removed by link-monitor wan1. Route: (70.163.74.13->8.8.4.4 ping-down)Routing information changed5Yesterday  Static route on interface wan1 may be added by link-monitor wan1. Route: (70.163.74.13->8.8.4.4 ping-up)Routing information changed6Yesterday  Static route on interface wan1 may be removed by link-monitor wan1. Route: (70.163.74.13->8.8.4.4 ping-down)Routing information changed7Monday  Static route on interface wan1 may be added by link-monitor wan1. Route: (70.163.74.13->8.8.4.4 ping-up)Routing information changed8Monday  Static route on interface wan1 may be removed by link-monitor wan1. Route: (70.163.74.13->8.8.4.4 ping-down)Routing information change

I am pretty sure the priority or the distance is causing it not to switch to WAN1 when it came back up. I cant tell in your link how I am supposed to set the priority and stuff, is port1 and port2 in your example synonyms for Wan1 and Wan2? I am sure if I check the priority they will probably be the same, or wan2 will have priority. Also, the command "get router info routing-table" gives me this error: 

Command fail. Return code -9999

Can you tell me the command that will check what the priority and distance are and the command to change those settings on my existing Wan1 and Wan2?

brycemd
Contributor II

You are just missing the end of the command, get router info routing-table all

kenny

nevermind I figured it out from the link you sent me, it was the priority

thank you 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors