Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
lhsit
New Contributor III

Webfiltering prevents Google Meets Audio and Video from connecting

Hi All,

We're running 6.2.2.  We have a strange situation whereby if I include any web filtering rule, our google meets can no longer establish a video/audio connection when attempting to establish a meeting using Google Chrome.  However, it does establish the session if we initiate it from internet explorer. 

We are a school running inside our education department WAN, with all web traffic having to go via an upstream proxy.  There does appear to be some UDP issues, and so we've had to block UDP packets to the Google Meets IP address ranges.

To test this, I created an "allow everything" web filter profile which does as it suggests, allows all traffic.  Even just applying this filter prevents chrome from creating a google meets session.  There is nothing in the logs to indicate that the web filter has actually blocked anything at all, the session just doesn't get established.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Chris.

1 REPLY 1
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Google Chrome by default will attempt to use the QUIC protocol to connect to sites (think HTTPS on UDP 443) if it can. Your option is to either disable the QUIC option in your browser settings and/or block outgoing UDP 443 connections in the firewall rules (move it up to the top of the rules list).   Not 100% familiar with firmware 6.2.2, but do know there are some "QUIC options" in 6.0.x, though I think might be related more to monitoring options.  Someone may want to chime in on this, though.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors