Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Markus_Albisser
New Contributor II

Fortigates replies on tcp/2000 and tcp/5060

Hi all

A new behavior came up during a penetration testing that all published application (publishing is on a Cisco ASA) replies on the tcp ports 2000 and 5060. During the investigation we figured out that not the ASA replies on them, that this is the Fortigate firewall which is sitting in front of the ASA to route the traffic between two connected Internet providers. As we don't need these ports and we don't need SIP inspection and proxy function (in our case this vDOM on our Fortigate is "only" a router and has no policies in place), our approach is to disable this behavior. All filtering/inspection should apply on the ASA firewall which is on the LAN side of the Fortigate.

Based on the article https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD36152 we found that this behavior is a normal function of the Fortigate. The only option here would be to move the ports away from the standard ports to a higher port, but not to disable this function. Means the publishings still replies, no longer on the standard 2000/5060 ports but on this other higher ports.

We got the answer back from our provider that this is a normal behavior and that it cannot be disabled, the only "workaround" is to move the ports. Is this really true, can this not be disabled? Hard for me to believe that this would apply, but if yes, it sounds for me more that this is a bug.

Thank you

Markus

1 Solution
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You have a better option test b4 and after ( see output ) but use "set default-voip-alg-mode kernel-helper-based"

BPSYN1 # diag sys tcpsock | grep 2000 0.0.0.0:2000->0.0.0.0:0->state=listen err=0 sockflag=0x102 rma=0 wma=0 fma=0 tma=0

BPSYN1 # diag sys tcpsock | grep 5060 0.0.0.0:5060->0.0.0.0:0->state=listen err=0 sockflag=0x102 rma=0 wma=0 fma=0 tma=0

BPSYN1 # config system settings

BPSYN1 (settings) # set default-voip-alg-mode kernel-helper-based

BPSYN1 (settings) # end

BPSYN1 # diag sys tcpsock | grep 5060

BPSYN1 # diag sys tcpsock | grep 2000

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
7 REPLIES 7
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Even to use it just a router you still need to have a set, or multiple sets, of policies to let traffic come in ingress and go out egress interface. Then one of policies likely has a voip profile enabled, which is enabling sip/sccp ALG.

Markus_Albisser

Hi Toshi

Many thanks to your reply. Yes, there are these policies configured with the ALG feature, of course. But my question is more how this can be disabled. Based on the answer I got from my provider this is not possible, the only workaround would be to move the ports for SIP and SKINNY to a higher port which is not the well-known port of the VoIP service. And I have the feeling that cannot be, it should be possible to disable this inspection entirely. What do you think?

Thanks

Markus

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Try one, or all, of below:

1) When my 50E's "VoIP" visibility was originally disabled, under any policies I didn't see "voip-profile" even with "get | grep voip". So it was not configured at all. Only after I enabled it, I see it under policies and can't remove any more. But you could try "unset voip-profile" which clears profile name. Then disable the visibility. I don't see "voip-profile" setting any more with "get | grep voip" after that. If this works, that would be more preferable than 2).

2) you can create a different voip-profile with settings like below:

edit "no-sip-no-sccp-alg"

config sip

set status disable

end

config sccp

config status diable

end

next

Then apply this to your inbound policy.

3) This is supposed to be done when you want to disable both SIP session-helper and ALG, but as the result, it would disable all ALG. So I regulary have 1) and 3) at all our FGTs in place.

3-1) remove sip and h323 session helper under "config sys session helper" (in global incase muti-vdom env). Likely h323 is "edit 2" and sip is "edit 13". We remove both, and this change requires a reboot.

3-2) This is depending on version. Under "config sys settings" (in a vdom)  do below:

set sip-helper disable (only older versions, 6.2 doesn't have the setting)

set sip-nat-trace disable

set default-voip-alg-mode kernel-helper-based

This part doesn't require reboot.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

You have a better option test b4 and after ( see output ) but use "set default-voip-alg-mode kernel-helper-based"

BPSYN1 # diag sys tcpsock | grep 2000 0.0.0.0:2000->0.0.0.0:0->state=listen err=0 sockflag=0x102 rma=0 wma=0 fma=0 tma=0

BPSYN1 # diag sys tcpsock | grep 5060 0.0.0.0:5060->0.0.0.0:0->state=listen err=0 sockflag=0x102 rma=0 wma=0 fma=0 tma=0

BPSYN1 (settings) # end

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Markus_Albisser

Hi Esumi and emnoc

Thank you very much for your valuable inputs here, I forwarded it to our partner for checking.

Have a good day

Markus

frodrique

emnoc wrote:

BPSYN1 (settings) # end

Ken Felix

Hello Ken,

I tried modifications below but the firewall is still listening on TCP ports 2000 and 5060. What can I do ?

I'm on FortiOS 5.6.14 with VDOM enable.

In global mode :

config system setting

set default-voip-alg-mode kernel-helper-based end

In each VDOM (currently 3) :

config voip profile

edit "default"         config sip             set status disable         end         config sccp             set status disable         end     next end

diagnose sys tcpsock | grep 5060 0.0.0.0:5060->0.0.0.0:0->state=listen err=0 sockflag=0x102 rma=0 wma=0 fma=0 tma=0 0.0.0.0:5060->0.0.0.0:0->state=listen err=0 sockflag=0x102 rma=0 wma=0 fma=0 tma=0 0.0.0.0:5060->0.0.0.0:0->state=listen err=0 sockflag=0x102 rma=0 wma=0 fma=0 tma=0

diagnose sys tcpsock | grep 2000 0.0.0.0:2000->0.0.0.0:0->state=listen err=0 sockflag=0x102 rma=0 wma=0 fma=0 tma=0 0.0.0.0:2000->0.0.0.0:0->state=listen err=0 sockflag=0x102 rma=0 wma=0 fma=0 tma=0 0.0.0.0:2000->0.0.0.0:0->state=listen err=0 sockflag=0x102 rma=0 wma=0 fma=0 tma=0

doireallyneedaname

thank you so much, i did search forever on why my app does not work (that uses tcp/2000) and got suspicios when i did see on wireshark that my client is receiving packats that the server never sent.

what an extremely stupid thing to put in hardcoded behavious for some ports, that can very well be used for something else than cisco VoIP.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors