Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
sw2090
Honored Contributor

Fortimanager 6.2.1 and global Database

Since FMG 6.2.1 one can promote objects to global database. However if you select the global database yiou only see a few cathegrories and there is no opition as in a normal adom to select what you want to see :\

This renders the global db rather useless. I have no use of having global webfilter rating overrides if I cannot see them in the database or edit them or add one.

Then some objects do have the option to promote them at all but nothing happens like local webfilter cathegories. Those can be promoted but if  one does just nothing happens. Doesn't even error out :\

Others do error out for unknown reasons....

This is very annoying and leaves the global db rather useless.

I thought of using it to have my webfilter profiles, url lfilters and rating overrides global to be able to use them in any adom but with the current stand that is not really possible :\

That features would be very cool if they worked correctly and if it is then usable....

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
1 REPLY 1
sw2090
Honored Contributor

Update: meanwhile the option to select the menue entries to be deisplayed appeared from outta nohwere. Don't know why? Probably somethibng was pretty broken in my global adom. I deleted it and created a new one and voila the option was there and I could select what to display.

However there is an annoying bug in promoting to global. Fortinet TAC in my ticket have acknowledged this as known bug and gave me a bugtrack number even.

This affects web rating overrides and local cathegories.

Due to the bug FMG does not at all promote you local cathegories if you tell it to do so It does not even throw any errror here. Simply nothing does happen and local cathegories are still not in global db.

Thus FMG does promote your rating overrides if you tell it to do that. But as it does not promote local cathegories it will screw up the references of all rating overrides that refer to local cathegories. This will leave your global db crippled and cannot be assigned to any adom. Even maually creating the local cathegories with correct id afterwards does not fix that.

Currently the only workaround is to delete all rating overrides and anything else that refers to loal cathegories (like webfilter profiles or ssl inspection profiles). Then create the local cathegories in global db by hand and do it in the right order so they keep their id! The id is used for referring to the cathegorie internally!

Once you have that you can promote rating overrrides and webfilter or/and ssl inspection profiles as usual.

You then should be able to assign that global db to adoms.

"Hello, Thank you for the patience on this ticket. As the case that you describe matches the bug id 568482 that is not yet resolved, I would have to escalate this ticket so that the issue is fixed."

is what TAC replied to my ticket.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors