Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Niyas
New Contributor

FortiAnlayzer vs forti cloud which is best solution

Hello  could you please help me which device is better for reporting purpose, fortianlayzer or forti cloud.  Can please give me detailed difference between FortiAnalyzer and FortiCloud

1 Solution
lobstercreed
Valued Contributor

Ken makes a good point that very small offices may want to go with FortiCloud (even the free version), but if you're doing anything remotely advanced or want long-term, detailed visibility, go with FortiAnalyzer.  I wish I had it at home honestly.

I'll put it in clearer terms.  If you're large enough to run virtual servers (ESXi/HyperV), do yourself a favor and buy FortiAnalyzer VM.  It's cheap and it's a HUGE time-saver if you're troubleshooting.  I use it every day and feel absolutely hamstrung without it.  OH and it works fantastically as a syslog server.  Really can't say enough good things about it.

- Daniel

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tanr
Valued Contributor II

On premise FortiAnalyzer is much more full featured than what you currently get with FortiCloud or FortiAnalyzer Cloud.   

For example, from https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortianalyzer/6.2.0/cloud-deployment/461449/introduction

"Other logs, such as Traffic Logs, are not supported in the base subscription."

Without traffic logs, it's pretty limited.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

It depends but 1st you need to understand the business case between the two;

e.g 

FC is for small office or business

FA is for enterprise or the medium to large buiness

Would I suggest a small kiosk to buy a fortianalyzer? NO!

Would I suggest a fortune 500  business to use FortiCloud ? NO!

As far as best, what was said earlier a on prem applaince for generating reports, logs events is far superior than FortiCloud.

FWIW;  I use both forticloud and papertrail for  my  cloud logging needs for my home.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
lobstercreed
Valued Contributor

Ken makes a good point that very small offices may want to go with FortiCloud (even the free version), but if you're doing anything remotely advanced or want long-term, detailed visibility, go with FortiAnalyzer.  I wish I had it at home honestly.

I'll put it in clearer terms.  If you're large enough to run virtual servers (ESXi/HyperV), do yourself a favor and buy FortiAnalyzer VM.  It's cheap and it's a HUGE time-saver if you're troubleshooting.  I use it every day and feel absolutely hamstrung without it.  OH and it works fantastically as a syslog server.  Really can't say enough good things about it.

- Daniel

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors