Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
abdeir
New Contributor

VPN usin dynamic IPs

Hi,

i have a fortigate 6.2.3 and i need to configure a VPN for remote users. i have tow dynamic WAN connection. is it possible or i must have a static ip from ISP provider.

regards

4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

You can make it work.

Connect one of your WAN addresses (interfaces) to a DDNS service. For example, dyndns.org or even Fortinet. In the Forticlient, specify the domain name instead of the remote WAN IP address. This should work, in aggressive mode.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

For the record, you can do this. I do it all day. I even have IPSec VPN tunnels with dynamic IPs on both ends working flawlessly.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

good to hear and reassuring, Bob...so they don't take everything for granted, these youngsters.

Of course I've got several dyn-to-dyn VPNs running as well. Static IPs are hard (and costly) to get these days. Mind the aggressive mode though.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
TecnetRuss

As Ede and Bob mentioned this is no problem at all.

Here's the quick FortiGuard DDNS method:

Under Network / DNS at the bottom you'll see a toggle for "FortiGuard DDNS".  Toggle that on, select your WAN interface that your VPN is configured on, select "Use Public IP address", select one of the three dynamic domain names under Server (fortiddns.com, fortidyndns.com or float-zone.com) and then type in your unique name that will form the first part of the FQDN that is shown at the bottom.

You can then configure your clients to VPN to that FQDN.

Russ NSE7

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors