Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Potato
New Contributor III

What is the behaviour if I disable local log on Memory but also send log to Forticloud?

Hi Guy,

Just a tricky question.

I am using Fortigate 80C what has no local storage.

So the Log is stored in Ram as known.

Well, then I configure somethings like attached.

My question is,

In my opinion,

If I select the upload option as "Every 5 Minutes",

then these "5 Minutes logs" must be stored somewhere [-- Ram?] before sending it to the cloud.

And when I disable the Local Log on Ram, how does Fortigate handle these "5 Minutes logs"?

4 REPLIES 4
ShawnZA
Contributor II

Your logs will be sent to the cloud every 5 minutes, probably saved in memory, not sure myself, but disabling the Local Log to memory will have no effect on the 5 minute setting, your logs will go out fine. Used to do that with a old 300C.

But I would just set it to upload in realtime in any case as that's what the documentation says you set it to if you want to upload to the cloud

Potato
New Contributor III

ShawnZA wrote:

Your logs will be sent to the cloud every 5 minutes, probably saved in memory, not sure myself, but disabling the Local Log to memory will have no effect on the 5 minute setting, your logs will go out fine. Used to do that with a old 300C.

But I would just set it to upload in realtime in any case as that's what the documentation says you set it to if you want to upload to the cloud

I wonder if the Disable Log on Memory + Real-time Logging is going to decrease the memory consuming by FortiOS.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Probably not but you can graph it in  SNMP and find out. I haven't seen any big impacts with memory usage and those two settings personally.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

rickywong wrote:

I wonder if the Disable Log on Memory + Real-time Logging is going to decrease the memory consuming by FortiOS.

quote] If your 80C model only has 512 MB memory, you may be pushing the memory constraints with going to later firmwares (e.g. >5.0) - at least in my experience with a bunch of 80CMs on 5.0 and 5.2. Though I don't know what it's like on 5.4/5.6 (we upgraded from 80CMs to 90D/92Ds).  Our stock 4.3 configs loaded (converted) under 5.0/5.1 saw memory usage go up to 65%-70% from a fresh reboot.  We followed the old "Configuration optimization for units with 512MB of RAM running FortiOS 5.0 or 5.2" KB article and the only config change that made a big differences for us is changing the various "buffer" size limits. YMMV. 

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors