Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
eberrick
New Contributor II

no VPN access to subnetwork in LAN

Hi Guys,

I am Ernest and new to Fortigate.

I have two LANs in my network ( 192.168.0.0/16  and 172.20.0.0/16)   

There is routing defined in the core between these two LANs which allows access to services and applications on either side .

My Fortigate Firewall however is directly connected to an interface on the 192.168.0.0 network .

I have configured on the FG Firewall  ssl vpn access to the network , my problem however is that I am unable to reach the 172.20.0.0 network over the SSL VPN Connection.

I would really appreciate your input as to how to resolve this.

Thanks.

1 Solution
eberrick
New Contributor II

Hi Shawn,

The connection now works after restarting the box. A bit strange it took a reboot to take effect but its working now.

Your advice has been eye-opening and I am grateful for the support.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ShawnZA
Contributor II

Are you using split tunneling for the VPN?

If yes did you also define the 172.20.0.0/16 in there to route for VPN clients?

And did you also add it to the firewall policy to allow your VPN traffic to both 192.168.0.0/16 and 172.20.0.0/16?

eberrick
New Contributor II

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the response. 

I have enabled split tunneling, Also I created a static route via the LAN interface to the 172.20.0.0 network

and created a policy allowing SSL VPN access to both networks.

I am however only able to reach the 192.168.0.0..

I do not want to create another ptp link just for access to the second lan but that may be the last resort.

ShawnZA

Did you define 172.20.0.0/16 in the Split Tunneling routing addresses?

If you look a the screenshot, do you have both 192.168.0.0/16 and 172.20.0.0/16 in there as routing addresses?

And can you browse the internet from the 172.20 network? If you only added a static route in to that network now I take it internet was never accessible from that range.

Can you ping your firewall internal lan IP from a device in that range?

eberrick
New Contributor II

HI Shawn,

I have defined that subnet in the tunnel .

Also internet is accessible in that range but internet traffic exits on a different device not the FG.

I am not able to ping the fw internal lan IP from a device in that range.

eberrick
New Contributor II

Hi Shawn,

from the firewall interface, I am able to ping and reach devices in the 172.20.x.x network.

eberrick
New Contributor II

Hi Shawn,

The connection now works after restarting the box. A bit strange it took a reboot to take effect but its working now.

Your advice has been eye-opening and I am grateful for the support.

Thanks.

ShawnZA

If ping is allowed on the interface then you need to check if routing is in fact working 100%. Can you ping from your firewall internal interface to one of the devices in the 172.20.0.0/16 range?

Do a ping from the FW:

First set the source IP for the ping command on the Fortigate:

Set source IP for Ping on Fortigate:

execute ping-option source 192.168.0.1 - Change to your internal IP of Fortigate

Ping device:

execute ping 172.20.1.25 Change to pingable IP in the 172 range

If your firewall can't ping a device in that range then there is a routing issue that you need to sort out first.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors