Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Kiwi
New Contributor

How to upload FGT Firmware image (not backup) to a Disk file ?

Hello

Question: How to upload FGT Firmware image to a Disk file (I am not talking about backup here) ? Something equivalent to the below Cisco procedure:

router#copy flash: tftp:   Source filename[]? c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T1.bin   Address or name of remote host []? 10.1.1.2   Destination filename [c1841-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T1.bin]? routerios Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
Fullmoon
Contributor III

Please take a look on this link https://kb.fortinet.com/k...nt.do?externalId=10338

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
Kiwi
New Contributor

Thank you Fullmoon for your reply, but I am talking about the other way around.

I am not upgrading the OS image, I just want to store in on my PC

ShawnZA
Contributor II

I am not sure if that is possible, maybe someone with more experience will share, but why don't you just download it from the Fortinet portal?

sw2090
Honored Contributor

you could store the bare Firmwareimage where you want. You can tell the FGT Bootloader on cli to get it via tftp. Also you can put it onto some usb stick or disk and name it image.out (default - can be set individually on gui). With that you can simlly plug that stick or disk into one usb port of your FGT and then reboot the fgt and it will automagically grab the image from usb and install it.

THat's the only ways I know...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

I don't believe there is a way to get an installed firmware image backed up from the Fortigate.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Agreed, their two partitions and only one is active. The image is installed but you can extracta pre-installed image from the  CF

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ede_pfau

As there are scripts involved when installing a new firmware image I doubt that the image in flash still is 100% identical with the uploaded one, or stripped of transform tables etc. So your only bet is to save a downloaded copy.

You cannot even copy a firmware image file to an attached USB stick. I'd love to keep the emergency USB sticks up-to-date after a firmware update (on FGTs in remote locations) but there is no such command. Or is there?

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

You are better off downloading a copy of the current OS image from the support site and saving that to disk and/or USB stick.

Kiwi wrote:

I am not upgrading the OS image, I just want to store in on my PC

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Kiwi
New Contributor

I am no a customer, just self learning :)

Thank you all for your input

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors