Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
cho
New Contributor

FG-60E-DSLJ | Deutsche Telekom ADSL2+ settings

Hi,

After testing and reading I'm stuck with the setup of ADSL2+ connection including fixed IP with Deutsche Telekom.

We've ordered a Deutschland Lan Voice line, we've got ADSL2+ here and we've deactivated easy access at Deutsche Telekom customer portal and activated fixed IP.

Now I'll try to connect with built in ADSL modem but the "diag dsl show 2" command shows handshake and then exception of modem status.

I've tried follwing settings:

config system interface     edit "dsl"         set vdom "root"         set mode pppoe         set allowaccess ping fgfm         set vlanforward enable         set type physical         set vpi 1         set vci 32         set mux-type llc-encaps         set phy-mode adsl         set tc-mode atm         set vectoring disable         set role wan         set snmp-index 2         set ipunnumbered 80.151.3.138         set username "$THE-CORRECT-USERNAME$@t-online.de"         set password ENC $DEFINITLY-THE-CORRECT-PW$     next end I've tried with pppoe on dsl interface and I've tried it also with a vlan interface on top of the dsl interface where the vlanid=7.

Does anyone of you have a good/working config for the FG60EDSLJ ?

I'm also not sure what to setup for the dsl interface when using a vlan-interface on top and where to setup the PPPoE values.

BTW: The DSL line is working 100% I've tested with a DSL modem of another DTAG DSL line. And I've also talked to technical support of DTAG and they can measure, that there is a DSL modem connected to the line, when the FG60 is connected to it.

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Did you try or have the option for "set pppoe-unnumbered-negotiate disable"

https://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/56/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-whats-new/Top-Network-PPPoE.htm

IIRC, ppoe mode expects dynamic-assignments. Please post if the above works,  since I have never had a chance to use it.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
cho
New Contributor

Hi emnoc,

Thanks for the answer but unfortunately "set pppoe-unnumbered-negotiate disable" is only available in interface dsl. But I can't setup a VLAN for pppoe authentication on VLAN7 so I've added an additional VLAN interface in mode pppoe on top of it. In This VLAN7 PPPoE interface the option is not available.

Strange to me is the Modem exception I an see here. But there is no way to get information regarding this exception.

Here are the infos of diagnose dsl show 2

--- SNIP---

VCCs Status ------------------------------------------------------------------- No      Wan Mode    Type    Status     IP         Connection Name ------------------------------------------------------------------- WANIP0  ADSL-ATM: V Bridge  Connected  240.0.0.1  FN_Stati_nas9         C 1/32 Gateway Information   DNS Information Primary Secondary MTU                                 0 Modem Status                        [EXCEPTION[1]]                       Mode Selected                       [NOT AVAILABLE]                      Power Management Mode               [DSL_G997_PMS_L3]                    Trellis-Coded Modulation            [Disable]                            Latency Type                        [Fast]                               Data Rate Downstream                [0 kbps]                             Data Rate Upstream                  [0 kbps]                             Attainable Data Rate Downstream     [0 kbps]                             Attainable Data Rate Upstream       [0 kbps]                             Interleaver Depth Downstream        [0]                                  Interleaver Depth Upstream          [0]                                  Line Attenuation(LATN) Downstream   [0.0 dB]                             Line Attenuation(LATN) Upstream     [0.0 dB]                             Signal Attenuation(SATN) Down       [0.0 dB]                             Signal Attenuation(SATN) Up         [0.0 dB]                             SNRM Downstream                     [0.0 dB]                             SNRM Upstream                       [0.0 dB]                             ACATP Downstream                    [0.0 dB]                             ACATP Upstream                      [0.0 dB]                             Superframe                          [Not available]                      LOS Failure(near end)               [0]                                  LOS Failure(far end)                [0]                                  LOF Failure(near end)               [0]                                  LOF Failure(far end)                [0]                                  LPR Failure(near end)               [0]                                  LPR Failure(far end)                [0]                                  NCD Failure(near end)               [0]                                  NCD Failure(far end)                [0]                                  LCD Failure(near end)               [0]                                  LCD Failure(far end)                [0]                                  CRC(near end)                       [0]                                  CRC(far end)                        [0] RS Correction(near end)             [0] RS Correction(far end)              [0] FECS(near end)                      [0] FECS(far end)                       [0] Errored Second(ES-L)(near end)      [0] Errored Second(ES-L)(far end)       [0] Serverely Errored Seconds(SES-L)NE  [0] Serverely Errored Seconds(SES-L)FE  [0] Loss of Signal Seconds(LOSS-L)NE    [0] Loss of Signal Seconds(LOSS-L)FE    [0] Unavailable Seconds(UAS-L)NE        [1103797166] Unavailable Seconds(UAS-L)FE        [1094893868] HEC Error(near end)                 [0] HEC Error(far end)                  [0] --- SNIP---

cho
New Contributor

Just talked to Deutsche Telekom to clarify the line on electrical side and they've acked that there is no sync. This should be present anyway, even if there is no login possible.

As I checked previously, the line is OK with a different router so the problem is on Fortigates Modem side. Is there a way to modify electrical settings to reach a sync on DSL line?

Are there known issued with fortigate modems ?

cho
New Contributor

next chapter in this problem ... could it be, that the DSL-modem was DOA in this device ?

I've checked with a DSL master modem and even this link didn't sync correctly.

Could it be, that the sync led is even flashing when there is already a sync, but no PPPoE connection ?

And if there is a sync, will one see values with command "diagnose dsl show 2" ? For example

Line Attenuation(LATN) Downstream   [0.0 dB] Line Attenuation(LATN) Upstream     [0.0 dB] Signal Attenuation(SATN) Down       [0.0 dB] Signal Attenuation(SATN) Up         [0.0 dB] SNRM Downstream                     [0.0 dB] SNRM Upstream                       [0.0 dB] ACATP Downstream                    [0.0 dB] ACATP Upstream                      [0.0 dB] 

Thanks for your help.

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

IMHO this is a clear case for Tech Support. I've heard that if you call in with P4, during German working hours, you have a big chance to reach the Neu-Isenburg support center. They should know (or know how to find out) which parameters to set with Telekom lines.

From glancing over your params:

- why "tc-mode atm"?? I thought ATM is dead by now. Other options for this?

- vectoring disable?? I know Telekom would not specify which outlets are vectoring and which are not but IMHO many are. You may try to switch this.

BTW, ADSL lines are tagged as well nowadays. They used to be untagged but if connecting to a BNG outlet you'll get VLAN 7 tagged traffic.

The way I set up these kind of lines:

- get a ADSL2/2+ or VDSL modem, preferably Vigor130 or 165. Comes in modem pass-thru mode already.

- change modem setup to NOT remove the VLAN 7 tag

- connect modem to wan port, create a VLAN port on wan port, VLAN ID 7, configure all PPPoE parameters on this port.

- physical wan port is not used for data but for access to modem (!) by giving it 192.168.1.2, modem is at .1.

This way you can monitor the DSL stats.

2 reasons for using a (relatively cheap) modem:

- if overvoltage on the line burns the modem, the FGT will survive, and it's easy to replace a no-config modem

- FGTs have problems with PPPoE encapsulation performance and used to limit throughput at 130 Mbps. Modems don't.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
cho
New Contributor

Dear ede_pfau,

Thanks for the answer.

After several talks to DTAG and also to supporting company where we've bought this FG60 following outcome reached me:

DTAG

- PTM is used instead of ATM, you're right here

- vectoring isn't used on ADSL2+

- VLAN7 is required for login, but I need to find the correct configuration, hopefully the Fortinet support will help here

Fortinet

- allthough I've not figured out what the modems problem is, a case was opened at Fortinet and I'll wait here to get a solution regarding DSL sync

Lets see. If I've got some useful information, I'll update this thread.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Cho

For the cfg you do not need support the cfg ios simple just define the  correct vlanid and apply the PPPoE specific settings

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD40273

e.g

config system interface edit "PPPoE"  set vdom "root"  set mode pppoe  set allowaccess ping ssh  set description "CID 45L78091-001"  set alias "uplink"  set device-identification enable  set role wan  set snmp-index 24  set lcp-max-echo-fails 10  set vlanid 35 next

Ken Felix  

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
bommi
Contributor III

Dear cho,

were you able to use the 60E-DSLJ with Deutsche Telekom ADSL2+ ?

Regards

Dominik

NSE 4/5/7

NSE 4/5/7
Dominik
New Contributor

Hi there,

were you able to establish the DSL connection with the 60E-DSLJ?? Kind regards,

Dominik

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors