Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Raja3000
New Contributor

What filetypes to be blocked for malware?

I would like to block malware files. On my gateway firewall, what filetypes should I block? . If I block only exe/DLL files getting dowloaded, will it help to avoid final malware getting executed ?  What I would like to understand is, even if I allow communication with Command and Control (C2) servers, if I block executable/dll files, will it really block malware ultimate purpose?. Final payload will be only executable like exe/dll?

1 REPLY 1
mcdaniels
New Contributor

Well that might not answer you question, but concerning C&C Servers (Botnets) it is important to activate the "Block Connections to botnet-servers" in DNS security filter.

Next thing is, that you have to allow SSL Deep Inspection, so all SSL traffic can be scanned, which leads to the next point: If you activate deep-inspection in policies, you have to import the fortigates cert to the clients browsers. If you don't do so, you will get a cert-warning on every ssl site you open.

For filetype-blocking you will have to use the webfilter, or DLP (which is removed from GUI in Forti-OS 6.2.3) AND your policies have to be in proxymode to make the filefilter (webfilter) work.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors