Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
CommonGibbon
New Contributor

Invalid DNS Server error on FortiClient6.0 ios

Hi, I use my iPad to vpn into my company network. I was able to connect as of about a week ago, but my latest attempts starting yesterday have failed with the error message "invalid DNS server invalid DNS server". I don’t know what information may be pertinent, so I’ll list some stuff below:

[ul]
  • I am on a different network than I usually am, but I have connected from here before.
  • My iPad recently updated to 13.3, but I tested the connection on a different iPad which had not updated and got the same error.
  • I have read this post: https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=176175 but I don’t understand how to implement the possible solution as I don’t understand how to use the CLI on my iPad.
  • I am using the “legacy“ app, but I tried the business app without success (same error)[/ul]

I am hesitant to try anything which involves significant changes since, so far as I know, no significant changes got me here.  Please let me know if I can provide more information.

UPDATE: I have a solution for this problem, though it is an inconvenient one. I read through the Fortinet iOS documentation and found a DNS configuration guide for the cli. In my iPad WiFi settings I set my dns configuration for manual and replicated the same config (10.10.10.10, 10.10.10.11). This allowed me to connect to my company network, but I am unable to use the web without using vpn and therefore need to switch my settings back and forth depending on whether I’m using vpn or not. This does not seem like an appropriate solution.

UPDATE 2: Although configuring my DNS as such does allow me to successfully connect my VPN, I lose connection to my internet. It seems that the 10.10... is irrelevant as I can replace it with other numbers such as 75.75.... that are there by default with automatic DNS configuration. The problem arises because of the the last two DNS entries in the default set of four that appear in automatic configuration. These appear to be require for an internet connection, but they generate the ”invalid DNS server error when I attempt to use VPN.

• 0 REPLIES 0
    Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors