Author
j.a.m.e.s
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2019/11/18 15:34:43 (permalink)

Stacked VDOM and Hardware Acceleration

Dear All,
I would like to migrate to a stacked vdom with the root learning a BGP default and relaying this to around 10 sub-vdoms via an inter-vdom link with an iBGP peering across the inter-link. I need to get around 10-15 Gbits though the platform as a whole with Jumbo frame support and I'm running the v6.0.3 train.

Having prep'ed the config, then I read that my 1500D platform would not be hardware accelerating any more than 2x links

As an alternative, I believe I can patch fibres between some of the physical ports and land these into different vdoms using 1.q subinterfaces. For resilience and improved speed, I would also like to make this a LAG.

Could anyone tell me please:
1. Is this approach of trunking multiple vlans across a physical cable for the physical inter-vdom link viable?
2. Is LACP possible between the vdom and are there any concerns like mac address or system id?
3. I use FGSP (and have a longer AS_PATH via the standby unit), is this compatible?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards

James.

2 Replies Related Threads

emnoc
    Expert Member
    • Total Posts : 5389
    • Scores: 353
    Re: Stacked VDOM and Hardware Acceleration 2019/11/18 16:09:47 (permalink)
    Could anyone tell me please:
    1. Is this approach of trunking multiple vlans across a physical cable for the physical inter-vdom link viable?
    yes that is doable , If I'm following you

2. Is LACP possible between the vdom and are there any concerns like mac address or system id?

What are we talking about here? Do you have a topology map?

3. I use FGSP (and have a longer AS_PATH via the standby unit), is this compatible?
      what do you mean by standby,  AS_PATH and and FGSP has no bearing, explain what your talking about ?

PCNSE 
    NSE 
    StrongSwan  
    j.a.m.e.s
    • Total Posts : 10
    • Scores: 0
    Re: Stacked VDOM and Hardware Acceleration 2019/11/19 05:05:37 (permalink)
    I have attached a diagram showing the intended setup. Basically traffic would enter from the North side (port 33 & port 34), then hop to a protected vdom via a LAG (ports 35 -> port 36 & port 37 -> port 38) before exiting on the South side, which again uses port 33 & port 34. 

According to the 1500D fastpath diagram, I think this means that potentially both NP6 asics could be involved in a typical North-South flow (e.g. Packet enters on p33, across the LAG on p37->p38 then exit on p33 again). Would this be a problem given my requirement for around 10-15Gbits throughput?

Thanks again for your help.

Attached Image(s)

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5