Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
James_G
Contributor III

Has anyone spotted any issues with internet service database (ISD) in 6.2.2

As title - not working for me in firewall policies

I have a ticket open, but wonder if anyone seen the same?

1 Solution
James_G

Logged support call, they pointed out behaviour changes in 6.2.2 (in release notes) where ISD is used for source addresses. I had to change the previous working config to a different ISD entry to get service back. The rule in question was for source addresses from Office 365 mail, had to change to a new entry called Office365.published.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
boneyard
Valued Contributor

didnt see an issue, how is it exactly not working?

James_G

Logged support call, they pointed out behaviour changes in 6.2.2 (in release notes) where ISD is used for source addresses. I had to change the previous working config to a different ISD entry to get service back. The rule in question was for source addresses from Office 365 mail, had to change to a new entry called Office365.published.
tanr
Valued Contributor II

@James_G, can you give more detail on why you had to change?  Did you have a source port specified?  Or was something else going on?

From the release notes: Only IP and Protocol are matched and source port is ignored when ISDB is applied as source in policy.  But it seems like this wouldn't usually cause issues.

James_G

Cut / paste from Fortinet support:

The root cause is that ISDB uses 3 parameters (protocol, port and IP address) to identify a service. In most cases, it is correct. Unfortunately, it is not true for the Office365 case as a source. As TCP traffic usually selects a random port as source port. So, we just ignore the port when identifying an Internet service as source. As an example, the traffic is simplified to <6, 0, 104.47.12.50> from <6, 38045, 104.47.12.50>. In the ISDB, this <6, 104.47.12.50> matches another internet service 327880. So, the traffic is getting recognized as 327880. Therefore, we are having an unmatched case.

boneyard
Valued Contributor

when would you use Office365 as a source?

James_G

Office 365 hybrid setup, the cloud based components need access to the on prem exchange ews virtual directory, but I want to prevent access to this resource from anywhere else on the net.
boneyard
Valued Contributor

ah interesting way to use it. would think that many of the IPs are just for incoming traffic towards Office.365, but i assume enough of them did work for this setup?

James_G

It's not perfect, the source could be from one of 40,000 IP address, but at lease them 40,000 IP address are from a trusted source (ish) and we prevent the other 4 billion address from getting access. No way to narrow this down further as the source totally changes time to time, as o365 tennents get moved around data centers.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors