Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Gypsy_Dave
New Contributor III

Web filtering blocking all website passing through

Hi all,

I'm applying strict outbound web filtering policy to block everything and then have a static URL filter where I allow certain wildcard domains for critical services on the network. I also have in place application control block certain categories like "Video/audio" etc. There are still websites which are available even though they are blocked via the web filter category and what looks like the application control . Like google.com and youtube.com. Is there anywhere else I need to block? I don't understand why they are able to be reached??

Thanks,

Rob

1 REPLY 1
sw2090
Honored Contributor

Webfilter consists of two parts:

the webfilter that can block (or not block) FortiGuard Cathegories, uhrated pages etc

the urlfilter which can block (or allow) by regexp or wildcard.

If you want Sites that are in a certain FortiGuard Cathegory to be blocked you would have to set this cathegroy to b blocked in webfilter.

If you want to whiltelist sites you can override their rating (wb rating overide) with an allowed cathegory.

This only works for a comlete domain and does not know regexp or wildcards.

if you need to exclude some site u cannot cope with a rating override you have to create an urlfilter using the url or regexp or wildcard.  To make sure that it will not be blocked once url filter allwoed it set the action in this entry to "exempt". This will make the filter stop once it matched this rule.

caveat: the url filter does not match if you have "#" in your url. This is confirmed by TAC.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors