Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
avilt
New Contributor

Fortigate 200E Zone Vs Interface

I have procured a new Fortigate 200E firewall and I need to put ports 1 to 4 in a single vlan (same segment)

How do I define this setup?  Shall I define a new zone or interface?

4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Two obvious choices would be

- hardware switch

or

- LACP trunk

But...unfortunately the 200E does not have a hw switch chip so it would emulate a switch in software. This will surely impact CPU load a lot. Not recommended.

Hopefully the switch the FGT is connected to is LACP capable. Create an LACP trunk from GUI, and fine-tune it in CLI if you need to. All ports will participate in traffic, adding bandwidth and redundancy.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
avilt
New Contributor

Just to clarify, even if I use it as a software switch, my systems will not have any traffic within the vlan subnet (software switch), they will talk to a system which is connected to firewall outside interface using a dedicated switch.

I believe if I have huge traffic within a software switch it's a problem right?

avilt
New Contributor

Can I use the software switch when there is no switch but my traffic is not within the vlan (software switch) ?

ede_pfau

Of course you can use a software-based switch. The FG-200E does have a decent CPU so that with moderate load you won't notice the difference to a hardware-based switch much.

You wrote that you need to put 4 ports into the same VLAN. Isn't that the classic situation of an access switch? Why not expand your FGT with a FortiSwitch? They are fully manageable from the FGT, fully monitored and cheap (in absolute price and cheaper per port than Cisco).

Anyways, if you want to keep this simple, create a sw switch and look how far you get. It doesn't matter if traffic is predominantely inter-vlan or external.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors