Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
vonden85
New Contributor

Migration of Forti-Authenticator

Hi Guys,

i have a forti-authenticator (FAC) thats currently hosted in a datacentre, on which my organisation is moving out of.

Now i have built a vanilla FAC in the new datacentre with with an eval license currently running on it.

An engineer which is assisting me with the project has made our production FAC and the new FAC into HA mode.

Production FAC = Standalone Master

New Vanilla FAC = Load Balancing Slave (different IP address, serial number)

Now we currently have 1500 users and tokens active, so the goal is to ensure we don't break them and force 1500 users to enrol again, which would be a pain.

Couple of questions:

1. Has the engineer who is assisting me, put the two FACs in the right HA mode? Should they be in Cluster Member Mode instead of Master/Slave HA mode?

2. i have pointed a test server and attempted to 2FA authenticate with the slave FAC and its not working. The Gen_Fac Host value has changed in the registry key for the server. Is this suffice information for the server to successfully authenticate OR are going about this the wrong way?

If there's anyone with high level steps on how we can successfully migrate the FAC into the new datacentre without disruption, i would really appreciate it, because we're not making any headway at this point in time.

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

1: It depends on your goal, but cluster is act/stdby btw

2: Did you make the standby ACTIVE when you did your test 

I would promote the standby active and do my test, I believe the eval license is going to be a issue if it does not match the current production unit.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
vonden85
New Contributor

Hi Ken, Thanks for your reply. The main goal is to not break the active tokens currently for the 1500 staff members. The current production one will need to be blown away cause we're vacating that data centre for good. My question is. 1. Are we in the right HA mode? Should the two facs being in cluster mode instead? So when the prod one is turned off. The other node kicks in? Or is there more to it than that hence the engineer has chosen master/slave? If I switch the slave to be active. How quick is it to roll back because I have VPN, untrusted remote access and 2FA authentication happening for IT admins across all our servers. 2. I'm going under the assumption that someone has conducted this task before (surely), but I heard the tokens are tied to the UUID of the VM of the FAC 3. Is the gen FAC value on the server the only thing that needs to be changed for a successful 2FA to happen for a server on the slave FAC. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong. Cheers Den.
abelio
Valued Contributor

Hello Den

A few comments:

- As emnoc pointed out, an eval license won't work because its user limits  (10 users, i guess). So, before migration, try

to fix this to avoid headaches.

- HA active-passive is the only clustering mode which ensures full synchronization

If your networking scenario does not allow you this and you're forced to adopt active-active (master and load balance slave) you have to re-check your configuration because this mode cannot synchronize FSSO, certificates etc

As manual states,  only below auth features are synchronized in this mode:

. Token and seeds . Local user database . Remote user database . Group mappings . Token and user mappings

Because of that, in our very particular scenario, we had to deal with this  using Active-Passive and play with the network interfaces.

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
vonden85

Hey Abelio, Apologies, I should of mentioned we have a Fortinet representative for our country that is evaluating the licensing situation. So we're aware of the limiting factor of users and limited days we have on it. Whether it was the right approach on slapping an eval licence to obtain HA functionality. I'm not sure, since I'm not really involved in the process. Hence why I've reached out to you guys for guidance and advice. I did read the manual yesterday. For the above reason you've stated is exactly why I am questioning if he's taken the correct method of HA with master/slave. So it does concern me if the engineer is not completely cutting over everything. Thanks for all your help everyone.
seadave

You might want to review this post:

https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=163782

I had some issues when I moved from FAC-100D to FACVM.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors