Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
junnian
New Contributor

possibility of restore backup configuration from V4.0 to V5 (5.2 or 5.6)

Hello Dears 

I have a fortigate 80C version v4 -build0106 and I want to get back up the current configuration and load it to new device of same model but new version of 5.2  v5-build0742  or even newer version of 5.6  , we try to did it before but after restore and reboot , it seems device crashed and it comes up in HQIP mode only.  is this possible we do it  and try it again or it is not possible to load back up from V4 to V5 ??

3 REPLIES 3
sw2090
Honored Contributor

My way to do so would be: 

- set the new device to factory defaults

- downgrade it to the same firmware version that runs on the 80C

- restore your backup on the new FGT

- upgrade new FGT to 5.6 accoarding to the upgrade path

or vice versa:

- upgrade the old 80C first using the ugrade path

- create a backup

- upgrade the new one to the same version (when it is on factory defaults you don't need upgrade path!)

- restore the backup on the new one

Hopefully there still is upgrade paths from v4 to v5.6.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
sw2090
Honored Contributor

hm just had a look. Unfortunately Fortinet only provides upgrade paths beginning with 5.2 .

I don't think that FortiConverter supports older then 5.2. then.

So you can either try your luck. Or do not restore backup but apply the config manually part by part ia copy paste on cli. This will work and will show you what won't work any more or what needs to be changed.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
junnian
New Contributor

Thank you very much for you information.

I do it manually.

Junnian

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors