Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Fortissimo
New Contributor

FortiGate FortiOS HA Status in User Prompt Possible?

Hi all-

New to the forum and my first post.  I hope this is the correct section to post this question, but here goes..

I'm wondering if anyone is aware whether the CLI Prompt on the FortiGate can show current FG Role/HA-Status at the Prompt?

Cisco ASA has had this feature for years, which can enable the changing of the prompt to show whether the current FW you are connected to is in Active or Standby (Secondary) Mode.  You would do this by simply configuring the prompt on each HA Cluster member with the commands:

[style="background-color: #000000;"][size="4"]# config terminal[/size][/style]

[style="background-color: #000000;"][size="4"](config)# prompt state[/size][/style]      <-- to configure showing the HA State

[size="4"][style="background-color: #000000;"](act)#[/style] [/size]                                   <-- prompt now updated to show cluster status

--OR--

[style="background-color: #000000;"][size="4"]# config terminal[/size][/style]

[style="background-color: #000000;"][size="4"](config)# prompt hostname state[/size][/style]   <-- show configure showing both hostname and HA State

[style="background-color: #000000;"][size="4"]asahost01/act/(config)#[/size][/style]                    <-- prompt now updated to show both

Twice now i've attempted troubleshooting on a specific FG only to find out that at one point or another, the Active and Standby (Secondary) cluster member switched roles at some point (regardless of before or after starting my session).  Fail-over doesn't really happen often, but I manage multiple clusters.

The idea here is just to be alerted live (or even if the prompt is evaluated once at the beginning of my session) as to its Cluster-Status.

I'm fully aware of the 'get system ha status'  but that's a little inconvenient to do every time I log in to a Fortigate.

Does this exist on Forti?   If not shouldn't this a PFR/Feature Request?

Thanks for any input.

0 REPLIES 0
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors