Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Klink
New Contributor

DNS Issue with VPN

Hello I'm beginner with fortinet product. I try to configure my FortiGate 50E. I configure the vpn. I can connect with FortiClient VPN without problems..

on the Fortigate On dns I specify my dns server as primary server and the Local Domain Name.

On my remote pc , When I'm connected with the VPN I ping the DNS server with ip adress but not with his name.

if I make a nsloockup MYserver I got this :

nslookup MYserver Serveur :   fortinet-public-dns-53.fortinet.com Address:  208.91.112.53 *** fortinet-public-dns-53.fortinet.com ne parvient pas à trouver hellboy : Non-existent domain

Did you have an idea ?

Regards

2 Solutions
orani
Contributor II

You have to specify your VPN DNS at VPN settings. Those are the DNS that vpn users will use when they connect with the client.

Orestis Nikolaidis

Network Engineer/IT Administrator

View solution in original post

Orestis Nikolaidis Network Engineer/IT Administrator
sw2090
Honored Contributor

looks like your VPN is configured to give an ip and the fortinet system dns as dns. 

Fortinet DNS does of cours not know your local domain.

So you might have to reconfigure that to givinig you one dns that can resolve your local domain.

Keep in mind that the vpn connection will still use the dns you have on client side ( either by dhcp or entered static in he vpn interface set up on client)!

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

View solution in original post

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
2 REPLIES 2
orani
Contributor II

You have to specify your VPN DNS at VPN settings. Those are the DNS that vpn users will use when they connect with the client.

Orestis Nikolaidis

Network Engineer/IT Administrator

Orestis Nikolaidis Network Engineer/IT Administrator
sw2090
Honored Contributor

looks like your VPN is configured to give an ip and the fortinet system dns as dns. 

Fortinet DNS does of cours not know your local domain.

So you might have to reconfigure that to givinig you one dns that can resolve your local domain.

Keep in mind that the vpn connection will still use the dns you have on client side ( either by dhcp or entered static in he vpn interface set up on client)!

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors