Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
rikki_s
New Contributor II

Mac 10.15 Catalina and Forticlient VPN

Hi, I just upgraded to Catalina on my Mac today and whilst the VPN client connects and notifies me of this I can't connect to anything on my network. No pings, SSH, RDP even HTTP work intranet. I was using the VPN this morning successfully on Mojave (10.14) and other users are connected to the VPN so that end is fine.

I am using 2FA with Fortitokens and I do get challenged for the token and this appears to be accepted successfully.

Forticlient VPN version is 6.2.1.654, I can't find anything newer.

Any ideas?

18 Solutions
weirder
New Contributor

I encounter same problem.

I just upgraded to osx Catalina and later found that Forticlient doesn't work any more. I was able to connect, but after connecting to VPN I'm unable to connect to any website or even ping google. (Before upgrading I had no problem with VPN).

I have Forticlient 6.0.8.149. In the settings, I'm using IPsec VPN, Authentication method I use Pre-shared key, and I log in using user name and password.

Please help fix this since I need to access company network. Thanks!

View solution in original post

dperussina

Same here... I have captured the debug log so hopefully fortinet devs can help us:

https://gist.github.com/dperussina/10c5176adcedb78c6887414bd6446d71

hohosecure

The 6.2.1 release notes clearly do not mention Catalina as being supported:

Desktop operating systems

[ul]macOS Sierra (version 10.12)[/ul][ul]macOS High Sierra (version 10.13)[/ul][ul]macOS Mojave (version 10.14)[/ul]

Guess we have to wait....

hans10
New Contributor II

Same here!

No issues with SSL-VPN (ppp adapter), only with IPSec (utun adapter)

Traffic is entering the tunnel, I see it being processed at the Fortigate and returning traffic enters the tunnel from the Fortigate. However the client doesn't receive it (traffic captured from the utun interface on the mac shows egres traffic only).

hans10
New Contributor II

Update from TAC, we have to be patient I guess :

Dear Customer,   Currently, FortiClient does not support macOS Catalina. There is no ETA yet for a version where Catalina will be supported. It's currently in our QA tests, however, the release schedule is not yet available.   It will not be included in the upcoming 6.2.2 version (which should be available this week), and only after the current release, we will have information about the schedule for the next release.

jinnerbi

Same here. Just updated from 10.14 to 10.15 Catalina. This is really annoying...

przem_t
New Contributor

Does anyone know any alternative to Forticlient (SSL VPN) that works on Catalina?

austinl
New Contributor II

Today, I did the newest available software update for Catalina (19A602).

I also uninstalled Forticlient and reinstalled Forticlient VPN 6.2.2. (6.2.2.685)

Still doesn't work.  Seems to work to connect, but data sends but data is not received.

austinl

Read the special notices.  Still doesn't resolve Forticlient not working.  

Looks like data is being received but not sent.

shahabahmadkhan

I tried installing the FortiClient VPN 6.0.8.149 on MacOS High Sierra , and first time it didnt worked, and later on after removing and reinstalling its working on it.

However on the latest macOS Catalina, i am unable to ping/ssh after successfully connecting to the VPN via IPSEC.

I tried on my mac upgraded from Mojave to Catalina and also tried on Fresh/Clean Installation of Catalina on a different macbook, but none of them seems to be working. 

I was getting the error on restoring the configuration which was resolved after reading the latest notes. But the ping and ssh is not working after we are connected.

I noticed one more thing, whatever the IP we are allocated, the if we try to ping that ip, that also doesn't give any response and time out happens.

If someone can confirm that they are able to ping the ip of the intranet or do SSH on macOS catalina via forticlient 6.0.8 or 6.2.2 on connecting the IPSec version , plz let me know

maziboss

FORTINET Support have you read that topic?! Why you don't release version of your software compatible with macOS 10.15?! What a shame!

Peter_Vermeulen

I have several users that have updated to Catalina, all of them are able to connect to our Fortigate 60E, firmware FortiOSv6.20 build0866 (GA).

But that is all they could do, no data is send or received. A fresh install of Forticlient 6.2.2.685 does not change the situation.

Two personally managed situations.

- MacOS 10.15, up2date, new install of FortiClient 6.2.2.685, can connect no data.

- MacOS 10.15, up2date, tried to connect with older version of FortiClient. Can connect, no data. Used uninstaller to remove older Fortinet Client, installed new version, can connect no data.

The link in this thread explaining to add processes to add and allow three processes to Full Disk Access under the Privacy tab of Security and Privacy. Those processes are not available.

Peter

ThePro
New Contributor III

Im having the same issue.

The VPN connecte fine with 6.0, but I couldnt ping any devices.

I tried to download the 6.2 version via this link (https://filestore.fortine...lineInstaller_6.2.dmg) but it simply simply opens up and says No updates found with a Cancel button at the bottom right with no way to proceed.

If I login to my account at https://support.fortinet.com/ and go to / FortiClientMac/ Mac/ v6.00/ 6.2/ 6.2.2/ I only see a FortiClientTools_6.2.2.685_macosx.tar.gz (instead of a DMG file like FortiClient_6.0.8.149_macosx.dmg under / FortiClientMac/ Mac/ v6.00/ 6.0/ 6.0.8/

When I open FortiClientTools_6.2.2.685_macosx.tar.gz it extracts/decompresses the folder and inside the OnlineInstaller theres a DMG called FortiClient_6.2.2.685_OnlineInstaller.dmg, but when I run it nothing happens.

I tried to download 5.6 (FortiClient_5.6.6.755_macosx.dmg) from / FortiClientMac/ Mac/ v5.00/ 5.6/ but it also connect but cant ping (no traffic).

Has anyone been able to get this working? Are we still waiting from an official response/fix?

boatkorachal

I got the same problem (be able to connect but cannot ping) when I tried to connect IPSEC VPN using pre-shared key.

by downgrading to 5.6.1, it works again!

here's the download link https://filestore.fortine...t_5.6.1.723_macosx.dmg

stevepodradchik
New Contributor

Fortinet --

Enough already!  You've known for more than a month that Fortinet Client does not connect to a VPN on clean installations of Mac OS Catalina.  In a post a few weeks ago, you said that it would not be in the recent upgrade.  So be it.  Now that this upgrade is out, what is the schedule for a fix?  This is NOT some trivial UI issue but a total show-stopper for using your devices from a new Mac.

Timeframe?

Thanks, Steve

nico81
New Contributor

Same problem here, Catalina fresh install and latest 6.2.2.* version, cannot ping and ssh any host.

Please fix!

*** EDIT: Solved with the following steps:

1 - Uninstalled 6.2.2.*

2 - Installed 5.6.1 from link in this thread (but advanced IPSec settings are missing)

3 - Upgraded to 6.0.9.162 downloaded from official download page

traversierj

Hey,

Does anyone has the download link for the FortiClient 6.0.9.162

rikki_s
New Contributor II

All. In case you're not aware the download link from the main Forticlient page now links to 6.2.3 and I can confirm this works successfully with Catalina. Finally! 

82 REPLIES 82
den191097
New Contributor

Forticlient 6.0.8.149 has same issue, but I'm connecting using certificate and login+password.

weirder
New Contributor

I encounter same problem.

I just upgraded to osx Catalina and later found that Forticlient doesn't work any more. I was able to connect, but after connecting to VPN I'm unable to connect to any website or even ping google. (Before upgrading I had no problem with VPN).

I have Forticlient 6.0.8.149. In the settings, I'm using IPsec VPN, Authentication method I use Pre-shared key, and I log in using user name and password.

Please help fix this since I need to access company network. Thanks!

dperussina

Same here... I have captured the debug log so hopefully fortinet devs can help us:

https://gist.github.com/dperussina/10c5176adcedb78c6887414bd6446d71

JimStreit
New Contributor

I'm having a similar issue.  MacOS 10.15 Catalina, FortiClient 6.0.8.149.

VPN says it's connecting but eventually errors out with the message "Connection was terminated unexpectedly. Error -104"

VPN works fine with another machine ... MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave, FortiClient 6.0.2.44

jovanstojanov

I'm experiencing the same issue after upgrading to Mac os Catalina, version 15. Any news on this?

hohosecure

The 6.2.1 release notes clearly do not mention Catalina as being supported:

Desktop operating systems

[ul]macOS Sierra (version 10.12)[/ul][ul]macOS High Sierra (version 10.13)[/ul][ul]macOS Mojave (version 10.14)[/ul]

Guess we have to wait....

LBM
New Contributor III

I just upgraded to Catalina and it's working. I am using FortiClient 5.6.1.723.

I always had problems with MacOS on newer versions of FortiClient.

fedor_src
New Contributor

If you update OS from 10.14 to 10.15 and you had FortiClient all works well.

If new installation in OS 10.15 = Error -104

hans10
New Contributor II

Same here!

No issues with SSL-VPN (ppp adapter), only with IPSec (utun adapter)

Traffic is entering the tunnel, I see it being processed at the Fortigate and returning traffic enters the tunnel from the Fortigate. However the client doesn't receive it (traffic captured from the utun interface on the mac shows egres traffic only).

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors