Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
amargys
New Contributor

Fortigate 3700D not booting

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone knows if 3700D is using it's hard drives for booting up? Problem is that disks are removed and unit is not booting up. Flash disk is there and it's trying to read the boot file but it fails with below output. I don't have access to the unit and below was emailed to me. Unit has no support contract and I would be keen to try to format flash disk and load new firmware on it, but this firewall is different continent and I can't get remote access to it. So I want your opinion to see if format flash might fix it and if it's worth to get this shipped over to me?

[h3 align=left]Enabling cache...Done. Scanning PCI bus...Done. Allocating PCI resources...Done. Enabling PCI resources...Done. Zeroing IRQ settings...Done. Verifying PIRQ tables...Done. Boot up, boot device capacity: 30533MB. Press any key to display configuration menu... ...... Reading boot image 1397673 bytes. Initializing firewall...PCI(00:1f.2): controller reset failed (0x80000003) System is starting... Using default data disk. plat=3700 ver=4. Using default data disk. plat=3700 ver=4. Unable to read mbr /dev/hda Using default data disk. plat=3700 ver=4. Formatting shared data partition ... Using default data disk. plat=3700 ver=4. failed, status=256! Cannot mount shared data partition. Using default data disk. plat=3700 ver=4. [fs.c:719] Read from MBR of boot device '/dev/hda' failed. Failed to save PRNG state Using default data disk. plat=3700 ver=4. Using default data disk. plat=3700 ver=4. fgtag.c - 139: Failed to open device: /dev/hda fgtag.c - 139: Failed to open device: /dev/hda fgtag.c - 139: Failed to open device: /dev/hda Using default data disk. plat=3700 ver=4. Abort booting! unknown operation mode(0) The system is going down NOW !! Please stand by while rebooting the system.
3 REPLIES 3
sw2090
Honored Contributor

looks like if it wants to boot but cannot access the disk drive anymoe since it was removed.

Maybe formatting the boot devce and reuloading the firmware image with tftp will get it back on track?

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
amargys
New Contributor

Thanks for prompt response sw2090

That's what I'm thinking to do.

But should it be looking in to hard drives when booting up, is it normal behaviour?

Thanks,

mjcrevier
New Contributor III

Why are the disks removed? I don't think you'll be able to use USB as a boot device. I would re-insert the disks, reformat, and download image via TFTP like sw2090 mentioned.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors