Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
IanB
New Contributor

FortiGate 80E memory conserve mode

Hello folks

We look after various models of FortiGate and don't have a problem. Except for the 80E which regularly enters memory conserve mode and drops sessions. Occasionally getting so bad we have to contact the site to get someone to reboot it, as remote management isn't even possible.

We've tried firmware version 6.0.5, 6.0.6 and are now on 6.2.1 but the symptoms are largely unchanged. It usually runs okay for a couple of days to a week and then the alerts come through. Testing is difficult as I'm trying not to impact the site too much.

Has anyone experienced anything similar and found a solution that works? So far not much luck with Fortinet support...

7 REPLIES 7
Macinator
New Contributor

Yes - exactly the same issue here.

600D - Various versions of 6.2 and 6.2.1

I don't recall the issue on 6.0.5

No solution here, going to try support as well.

Scott

sw2090
Honored Contributor

conserve mode is sort of protection. Fortigates enter it when the run below 30% of free memory.

Maybe you should look into your FGT to see what causes this memory usage?

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Macinator

Actually - I jumped on with Support last Friday - they took a long look and the ipsmonitor and wad were consuming unusual memory amounts.  My tech confirmed issues for some with 6.2 and 6.2.1 - 6.2.2 expected soon to address those issues.

He took a lot of logs and kicked it up to the next tier of support which I have not heard back from yet.

Killing the wad and ipsmonitor process helps short term but the memory does keep climbing - hopefully this will be enough to prevent having to reboot every three days.

Scott

sw2090
Honored Contributor

hm wasn't there annother ticket about wad consuming too much memory [in 6.x] recently?

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
kphed
New Contributor III

sw2090 wrote:
hm wasn't there annother ticket about wad consuming too much memory [in 6.x] recently?
Having this issue on 5.6.11 VM02. Did you ever find a solution?
aleilmago

Hi.

When I had this issue in the past (a couple of times), the solution was the upgrade to the latest version of FortiOS.

Best.

Alessandro

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

From the CLI, perform a diag sys top (e.g. diag sys top 5 20) and see what processes are taking up memory.  (I can assume if you have a lot of content inspecting going, you may see multiple instances of ipsengine or scanunitd.) As a temp fix until the conserve mode issue is resolved there is always the option to daily reboot the fgt that should free up memory.

conf sys global set daily enable set restart 05:30 end

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors