Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
lorenzz
New Contributor

How do I change vpn password for multiple fortigate?

Hi everyone,

We would like to change the vpn password for our multiple fortigate. How do we change it in faster way? We do have fortimanager, Is it possible for fortimanager to push the change of password for multiple firewall instantly?

Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
sw2090
Honored Contributor

hm 

maybe you should have posted this to the frtimanager forum?

Anyhow: vpn tunnels basically are device config. So you have to set them on each FGT even with FMG.

But maybe FortiManagers VPN Manager could help here. HOwever I never tried it up to now...

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Can you not push a script from the FMG? Or batch-script upload ?

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
sw2090
Honored Contributor

oh ok yes you could push a script from FMG. I just up to now never used that feature so can't say anything about it. But yes might be an option too.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

lorenzz wrote:

Hi everyone,

We would like to change the vpn password for our multiple fortigate. How do we change it in faster way? We do have fortimanager, Is it possible for fortimanager to push the change of password for multiple firewall instantly?

Thank you in advance.

Use a remote authentication device for all Fortigates. Change them all in one place. Just an idea for the future.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

If the vpn names are the same we've use for loop and change the psk on vpns via script. The FGTs have a public-key so it's automated and loops thru and changes the vpns in a simple execution.

e.g  part of the sript

======================

# vpn tunnel gw list in file vpn.txt

# python runs a script to create a random password that we will set on our devices 

py1=/usr/bin/python

py2=/opscenter/FTNT/scripts/python.password

psk=`$py1 $py2`

## now we change the FGTs psk  

H="config vdom\n edit root\n config vpn ipsec phase1-interface\n edit FGTCorp2RemoteTunnel\n set psksecret  $psk\n end\n" 

for p in " cat vpn.txt" ;  

do       echo -e "$H"  | ssh -o "StrictHostKeyChecking=no"   fgtadminteam@$p]fgtadminteam@$p ;  

done 

You can run the script before hand to see how it would display the password e.g  

config vdom edit root config vpn ipsec phase1-interface edit FGTCorp2RemoteTunnel set psksecret  .@3bR_4$xWWL&6dgAhdk#83k@l@9k12k&3ts5Fg end 

I would suggest no ssh host key checks to ensure the script won't fail from a upgrade or failover  or if the ssh keys are changed.

Vpn.txt files has all of the vpns gateways by ip.address 

YMMV, but we change psk like this every 3months and it works 100% flawlessly if the network is not down the host that runs the script is up. We crontab this to fire every 90days 

TIP: Avoid using the following characters  '\ " in the random password 

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
lorenzz
New Contributor

Thank you everyone for your response, will try to study first the scripting. 

gradius85
New Contributor III

removed... since it is old and already was answered.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors