Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fdalton
New Contributor

FortiAps not connecting to Controller after Fortigate Upgrade.

I upgraded my FortiGate 600D from v5.6.8 to v5.6.11 yesterday. Before I Started this step, I looked to the Release notes and noticed that my FortiAps are already in the latest firmware (v5.6.0) version supported by the v5.6.11. However, after the upgrades was completed, all my FortiAps are not connecting to the Wifi-Controller interface anymore. I Have already checked all the configs and it seens right. 

I have no idea what to do now... Someone can help me?

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Start from physical first. Do they still have power? What are those LEDs showing? Did they pull IPs via DHCP? Are they pingable, and so on...
Dave_Hall

Do the APs show up in the Managed FortiAPs section but greyed out?  Are they assigned static IP addresses and/or getting IP address via DHCP? 

Check the LEDs (see pic below as an example).  The Power, Status and Ethernet LEDs should be on.  If the APs have valid IPs but can not see/detect the fgt (wifi controller) than you may need setup one of the three options (in the AP) for detecting the wifi controller.

Aside from the above, the firmware upgrade process may "patch" or assign a temp FortiAP profile to the the APs - check/confirm they look ok, including actual opening the AP profiles to see that the SSIDs are assigned/configured.  You may see profiles tagged with "tmp" prefixes. 

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Toshi_Esumi

Just a note: The LED indications David posted might not exactly match your 221E's depeding on Gen1 or Gen2 version you got. Gen2 doesn't have Amber LEDs, but all Green LEDs. And they replaced "Status" with "Bluetooth Status" LED. But the rest like patterns should be the same.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors