Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
wseaton
New Contributor

Suggestions for hotspot failover

Greetings,

Our faithful 1500D currently fails over to our T1 (phone) when our cable connection dies, which does occur from time to time. Since we need 24/7 uptime and we process credit cards we need 24/7 SLA. I do not need load balancing nor want to discuss it - thanks.

I really want to pursue alternatives given we are having issues with our T1 provider....or, they are having issues and I'm sick of being reliant on another stack of managed gear I don't own with a revolving gear of support techs. I see hotpots used more and more and enterprise level failovers and looking for suggestions / pitfalls for coupling with my 1500D. 

2 Solutions
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

The first thing comes to my mind is a fiber circuit. That's generally more reliable than both T1 and cable circuit.

View solution in original post

Toshi_Esumi

I wouldn't consider any connection over WiFi as a reliable one, besides, you need to have a WiFi client device in addition to 1500D to connect to it.

WiFi can be attacked by anybody in the area. Even if not intentional, if someone installed an AP nearyby, it might attack your connection with its WIPS/WIDS feature.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

The first thing comes to my mind is a fiber circuit. That's generally more reliable than both T1 and cable circuit.

Toshi_Esumi

I wouldn't consider any connection over WiFi as a reliable one, besides, you need to have a WiFi client device in addition to 1500D to connect to it.

WiFi can be attacked by anybody in the area. Even if not intentional, if someone installed an AP nearyby, it might attack your connection with its WIPS/WIDS feature.

wseaton

I unchecked both your answers as unhelpful. 

(1) I never said I was connecting to wifi. Why would I connect to my own internal wifi when it outbounds on my ISP connection that I'm trying to provide redundancy?

(2) I'm sure Companies like Cradlepoint disagree with everything you said.

(3) I've seen Hotspots used as failovers for really big companies for double and triple redundancy. I simply want to avoid another piece of gear (like a Cradlepoint) because I paid enough for the 1500D and it seems to work just fine failing over to a static route on my T1 via a simple path metric. If there's a hotspot that works well just by itself...... that's what I'm asking.

(4) Worked enterprise IT for 20 years and seen fiber connections chopped and trashed and gear faulted about as much as any other physical wire. No one keeps their job in IT long relying on a single ISP connection no matter how many decimal points the SLA, and the cheapest fiber connection available is 5k a year. Owner isn't going to pay it.

Anybody else help with this?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors