Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
vishal
New Contributor

Config backup in new FGT

Hi All, I have a config backup file and want to dump that file in new fortigate device. Problem is that I don't know the admin password which are in Configuration file. Is it any way that I can know the password by going through the Configuration file or if I manually create one admin rights credentials (username & password) in my new fortigate model and then dump that configuration file into it. Will the admin rights credentials which I have created manually would be still there ? Or it overide with the configuration file which I will dump? Any help will be highly appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
orani
Contributor II

You can edit your old config file and copy/paste only the parts of configuration you want to the cli of your new fortigate

Orestis Nikolaidis

Network Engineer/IT Administrator

Orestis Nikolaidis Network Engineer/IT Administrator
Elthon_Abreu

Hi,

You can change the admins password by editing the config section below:

config system admin    edit "admin"       ...

set password "You-Pass_here"    next end

After that, you just have to upload the new config file.

Best regards,

Elthon Abreu FCNSA v5

Elthon Abreu FCNSA v5
vishal

Thanks Elton abreu. But is it logical that I manually create one administrator rights credentials and then dump my config file from 1 Fgt to another then my Administrator credentials which I have created manually would be there even after dumping config file
Elthon_Abreu

Vishal,

In last case... you can perform a password recovery following that:

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD34757

Elthon Abreu FCNSA v5

Elthon Abreu FCNSA v5
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors