Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tedauction
New Contributor III

BGP announcing routes ?

Hello, I have a single VDOM configured with my local BGP AS and also two different remote BGP AS peers i.e one on the external interface and one on the internal interface.

I want to propagate all learned BGP routes between my Fortigate and these peers.

I have configured my BGP peer neighbours. My question is do I also have to manually specify all the routes in the 'Networks' field of the local BGP options or will they auto advertise to both interfaces via BPG ?

...(or do I need to specify *.* in the Networks field of the local BGP options GUI).

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

If those are eBGP peers, BGP-learned routes are advertised once peering is established, like routes came from eBGP peer1 will be adervertised to eBGP peer2. But for other routing protocols/sources like connected, rip, ospf, static, and so on, you need to redistribute those routes into BGP domain to be advertised to BGP peers. That's what you would see in "show router bgp". By default none of those are redistributed like below. You need to at least "enable" each by "set status enable". In many situations, a route-map is applied to filter in or out routes from each protocol.

config router bgp     config redistribute "connected"     end     config redistribute "rip"     end     config redistribute "ospf"     end     config redistribute "static"     end     config redistribute "isis"     end     config redistribute6 "connected"     end     config redistribute6 "rip"     end     config redistribute6 "ospf"     end     config redistribute6 "static"     end     config redistribute6 "isis"     end end

j_a_m_e_s
New Contributor III

Assuming the routes are in the BGP table (get router info bgp paths) and you have no filtering via route-maps, I believe the routes will be advertised. If you're worried about local networks such as NAT pools, you may need to add  network statement for these or do a redistribute connected. I haven't personally used the UI for BGP, but may be able to help if you post the BGP config.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

The "network" statements are for routes you advertise , eBGP peers and learned routes from within, will be advertised as stated earlier. Or redistribution of routes into the bgp table.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors