Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Kenny_Davis
New Contributor II

Fiber upgrade

So I have something that I thought was going to be simple but has turned out to be something not so simple. I am probably just overlooking something.

I have three schools that are currently connected via an MPLS circuit provided by our ISP. They are configured in a hub and spoke type configuration. We have recently had the three schools connected with a point to point fiber provided by our ISP, still in that hub and spoke configuration. So here is my scenario:

I will call the schools A, B, and C

All three schools have fortigates, school A has a 600C the other two are 100D.

School A is the hub it is also where the other two schools go to get their internet access.

Each school also has its own separate IP range, School A is 10.10.0.0, School B is 10.11.0.0, and school C is 10.12.0.0

I can assign IP addresses to the fiber ports on the Fortigate's and ping across the fiber to each other no problem, but when I try pinging with a client I get no such joy.

I have assigned the first fiber port as follows School A 10.130.0.1 to school B which is 10.130.0.2

School A second fiber port 10.131.0.1 to school C fiber port 10.131.0.2

I set up Policy routing for all these ports and then configured my policies to allow all traffic across.

I thought with this being a point to point it would be so simple, guess not at least for a Fortigate novice anyway.

Any help with this will be much appreciated. I know I am going to feel stupid after someone tells me how simple this is.

TIA

Kenny Davis
Kenny Davis
4 REPLIES 4
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

What is NOT working? You didn't described the most important thing for troubleshooting? School B and C can't get to the internet? Or they can't connect each others?

I'm not sure why you need policy routes but first you need to check routing-table at all FGTs to see if they have proper routes to reach wherever they need to get to.

Kenny_Davis

None of the schools to see each other from a client. I can ping no problem from the FortiGate's, so I think it is a routing issue or a policy issue but I have both routing and policies in place.

Kenny Davis
Kenny Davis
ede_pfau

Agree, no Policy Routing necessary as far as I can follow your description.

The default routes need to be:

School B, gateway 10.130.0.1

School C, gateway 10.131.0.1

which are the fiber ports on FGT A, and

School A, gateway <ISP side of your internet link>.

The 10.13x subnets are just transfer networks, with 2 addresses used, so their netmasks would be /30.

And that's about it.

You may try this out, and post back, or instead post both routing tables from School B and C (in CLI: 'get rout info rou all').

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Kenny_Davis

Yep, that was it, I knew it was something stupid I was overlooking. The routing tables look good. Thanks, guys for all the help much appreciated.

Kenny Davis
Kenny Davis
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors