Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
userzer0
New Contributor II

Wall Mounting an AP?

I'm needing to wall mount a FortiAP 421E  (It's going into a house and mounting it on the ceiling isn't feasible).

I'm thinking that this is going to change the characteristics of the signal, but how significant of a change is this going to be?

The house is relatively small with a square footprint. 2 floors and a basement. Wanting to mount it high on the first floor wall, roughly centered in the house.

Right now there's a TP-Link sitting in a corner of the house, on the first floor. The device's gain is turned all the way down and there is complete coverage within the house.

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Have you checked the antenna radiation patterns on the datasheet (https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/FortiAP_11ac_Series.pdf pp.20)? It's mushroom shaped. So the coverage from the AP to the far end of the wall wouldn't change much either you mount it on the wall vertically or horizontally. But it's not the center of the room like when you mounted on the ceiling, effectiveness of the coverage area would reduce down to less than a half for obvious reason. Installing it at a corner of the space make it less than 1/4.

Since you seem to be a rich person, or a lucky one to get a free one, (I never be able to afford that, still using two 221Bs), you just need to test by moving it around the to find the best spot.

But most unlikely it would penetrate through the floor enough to get good signal (that's why I have two). 

userzer0

Thanks for the reply!

I wish it was the former, but I'm just lucky in this case.

If i'm understanding this graph right, it looks like the signal is essentially spherical out from the AP, with the exception of the rear/underside of the AP, where it's not as strong.

Out of curiosity, how do those charts correlate to distance? (assuming a wide open space)

Given how small the house is, i have a feeling i could stick this thing anywhere on the property and i'd get full coverage :)

ede_pfau

I'll bet you could throw the FAP into a corner and still get sizzling coverage...

In general, the bottom plate will prevent radiation (it's metal for better heat spreading). So mounting it vertically isn't the best thing to do. If you have to, you might put it on a wall (as you don't need to cover the wall and what's behind). Think of a light bulb with a shade on one side.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors