Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
DanST93
New Contributor II

Help routing two networks

Hello there!

I am trying to add a new network to act as a dedicated iLO network.

I have configured an additional port on my Fortigate 60E router and have configured a policy route to route between this network and our Core network.

Core/Server Network: 192.168.69.0 /24

iLO Network: 192.168.50.0 /24

Our DHCP server lies on the 69 network and it is servicing IP Addresses to the iLO cards of our servers on the 50 network. I can ping the Router port and switch configured on the 50 network from the 69 network but cannot ping any of the iLO cards.

If I plug in a laptop to the 50 network switch I can ping the iLO cards and router and the 69 network port on the fortigate but cannot get any further. Also devices on the 69 network can ping the router port and switch on the 50 network but not the devices on it.

I'm wondering what I've missed here, and any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

1 Solution
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

and welcome to the forums.

After re-reading your post I still wonder why you use a Policy Route. A PBR is a route which is matching fields other than the destination address, like source address, port etc.

As far as I see it you only need a regular route. Actually, you don't need any extra route on the FGT - as long as your devices don't need internet access. Check 'Monitor > Routing Monitor' to see the active routes. You won't see any sign of your PBR which is one of the reasons I dislike PBRs. But, you'll see a route to the 69 subnet, and one to the 50 subnet. They are 'connected', and for subnets in which a FGT port participates, the FGT will insert a route automatically.

When you've got the routing right, you need policies to allow traffic.

You need 2 policies:

- from 50 to 69

- the reverse

If you already have the first policy, right-click it and 'clone reverse' to create the second.

For starters, use 'ALL' for service. No NAT.

The problems you state do come IMHO from missing routes on your iLO cards. Their default route needs to point to the local FGT interface (say, .50.1). Otherwise, they don't know how to reach the 69 subnet. They don't route, the FGT does.

Your switch seems to be configured correctly, though. Have a look at it's default route.

And I wonder how your DHCP server shells out addresses from the 50 subnet while it doesn't have a direct connection (a port in) this subnet. But it seems you are seeing 50's IP leases on the switch and iLos.

I'd just put a DHCP server on the 50 interface on the FGT, and DNS and NTP servers. Done.

Let's see what you find.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
3 REPLIES 3
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

and welcome to the forums.

After re-reading your post I still wonder why you use a Policy Route. A PBR is a route which is matching fields other than the destination address, like source address, port etc.

As far as I see it you only need a regular route. Actually, you don't need any extra route on the FGT - as long as your devices don't need internet access. Check 'Monitor > Routing Monitor' to see the active routes. You won't see any sign of your PBR which is one of the reasons I dislike PBRs. But, you'll see a route to the 69 subnet, and one to the 50 subnet. They are 'connected', and for subnets in which a FGT port participates, the FGT will insert a route automatically.

When you've got the routing right, you need policies to allow traffic.

You need 2 policies:

- from 50 to 69

- the reverse

If you already have the first policy, right-click it and 'clone reverse' to create the second.

For starters, use 'ALL' for service. No NAT.

The problems you state do come IMHO from missing routes on your iLO cards. Their default route needs to point to the local FGT interface (say, .50.1). Otherwise, they don't know how to reach the 69 subnet. They don't route, the FGT does.

Your switch seems to be configured correctly, though. Have a look at it's default route.

And I wonder how your DHCP server shells out addresses from the 50 subnet while it doesn't have a direct connection (a port in) this subnet. But it seems you are seeing 50's IP leases on the switch and iLos.

I'd just put a DHCP server on the 50 interface on the FGT, and DNS and NTP servers. Done.

Let's see what you find.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
DanST93
New Contributor II

Ahhh! I had IPv4 Policies and Policy Routes! Turned off the policy routes, leaving the IPv4 Policies live and voila! It works!

Thanks!

wkana
New Contributor

I'm not a Fortigate expert by any means, but we are working through a similar scenario using a 100e.

Have you setup any IPv4 policies to allow the traffic in both directions?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors