Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
patrickwilson82
New Contributor

Setting up a VLAN

Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction on this?

I have a Fortigate 101E that sites in front of four Fortiswitches (one directly connected) in Standalone mode. We also have other legacy HP switches until we gradually replace all of the older HP's and go to FortiSwitch exclusively. I will be receiving another HP Switch from our parent company to be used for some Servers that they will be sending here for off-site backups, and as a secondary email server. I would like the Servers connected to this switch to be on a completely different subnet from our network. I've found lots of resources on how to set up a VLAN when the Fortigate is managing Fortiswitches, but haven't had much luck finding how to set this up with my Switches in Standalone mode. Thanks in advance for any help.

1 REPLY 1
sw2090
Honored Contributor

Well this is easy: just make sure the port on which the connection to your fortigate/fortiswitch is plugged into is untagged in one vlan (could be vid 1 - hp default even if not used) and tagged into all other (hp fimware demands this). Then make sure the ports you want to conect the servers to are untagged in the correct vlan (because otherwise the server would have to do vlan tagging). Make sure the port on the fortiswitch on which the connection to the standalone switch is is tagged in all needed vlans too so that packets tagged with your vlan id that come form your standalone switch can reach through to your fortigate. 

That is what we do with hp and dell switches here and several vlans on a fortigate and it works fine.

If you run virtualization like vmware you will also have to do this in the virtual switch in there!

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors