Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
elyas
New Contributor

Seprating Wirless and Lan traffic

Hello

i have Fortigate 90 D , i have configure two VDOM one for Lan traffic and one for Wireless . i used the wireless network   for mobile phone and  a lot of threat will be there , i want to separate the traffic of Lan BU network and Wilrelss . first we have used the VDOM  for each of them . know i configured the Wireless and LAN on the root with different port and interface . i want to advise me the best practices for this scenario .

2 REPLIES 2
sw2090
Honored Contributor

you could to that with different ports of course. You could also use vlans to do this. A port would require wiring. Using vlans would only require the existing wiring and some switch that is capable of distrubuting vlans (i.e. managed switch) or client that can do this on its own.

We're sperating a load of different networks here with vlans.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm not sure how seriously you need to separate LAN and WiFi traffic. If your network involves Credit Card processing server/devices, it requires quite serious separation. In case like that we set up at least three vdoms: root be treated as a part of the internet, and each element is in one of other vdoms.

But if you just need to separate interfaces and apply different sets of polices for those, the vlan method sw2090 suggested is the very common way.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors