Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
qqh452821000
New Contributor

How to do route-policy with VPN?

Hi everyone,

We have a fortigate-200d running V5.4.5 here.

And we have two default-route.

We also have some VPNs. 

Here is what I want to do :

corp vlan5 's traffic go wan2 ,other traffic except VPN go wan1, How to do that ?

Here are my route-policy:

I can't do a route-policy like this :

!

set input-device "corp vlan1" set src "0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0" set dst "0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0" set gateway wan1_IP set output-device "wan1" next

!

Because all the VPN traffic will down...

Thank you for any answers..

4 REPLIES 4
scan
New Contributor

Hi 

The easiest solution will be an upgrade to Version > 5.6.0 . In the newer versions has an SD-WAN option which you can configure your requirement and the Fortigate do the stuff in the background:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/5.6.0/cookbook/597321/redundant-internet-with-sd-wan

Otherwise I would try the following:

1. Create a default route as static route which is the gateway for the most of your subnets

2. Create dedicated policy based routing entries for the exceptions

Remember: Policy based routing should be an exception. and befor use it think clearly about it! It makes the troubleshooting more complex.

Cheers

qqh452821000

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried that before.

If that it is only one default-route in the routing table. And I created a policy-route for the exceptions but it didn't work..I think that the exception need the other default-route ,but that route is not in the table..

scan

Ok, the following should work:

config router static

edit 1

set gateway wan2_IP

set device "wan2"

config router policy

edit 1

set input-device "corp1_vlan"

set src "10.64.0.0/255.255.255.0"

set dstaddr "all"

set gateway "wan1_IP"

set output-device "wan1"

Afterwards you can check with the debug flow command with route and firewall Policy match the traffic:

diagnose debug flow filter addr <client_IP>

diagnose debug enable

diagnose debug flow start 5 # record first 5 sessions

If the traffic allowed you can use the packnet sniffer to get the outgoing device:

diagnose sniffer packet any 'host <client_IP>' 4

qqh452821000

Thank you for your reply..

I knew that should work . and I have tested it before.....That would interrupt all of the VPN traffic...

Because VPN next-hop should VPN's interface not wan1, that what is bothering me 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors