Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ThatDudeFromNZ
New Contributor

SD-WAN interface data usage issue. Weight set 100:0

Hi,

I have a FortiGate60E with two internet connections: Primary:Wan1 and Backup:Wan2; setup SD-WAN with these 2 interfaces for redundancy. 

The backup internet connection has a 100GB data cap which was nearly hit last month, I adjusted the Weight to 100:0 a few days back and it's still consuming huge amounts of data. Attached a screenshot, left side is 3 days and right side today which has 20GB increased received data.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong? 

2 REPLIES 2
Philippe_Gagne
Contributor

Hi,

I suggest you to use "SD-Wan Rules" to force traffic on wan1, weight is not mandatory for the SD-Wan feature, I consider it as a "suggestion" where to send traffic. I have a lot of customers who use cellular modem as backup link, with SD-Wan rules, only the monitoring pings are sent to them. 

For your information, when you create a rule that send everything to a specific member of the SD-Wan, when this member failed, rules pointing to it will not matche and the failover will occur.

Regards,

Philippe

hubertzw
Contributor III

"The FortiGate uses the volume weight that you assign to each interface to calculate a percentage of the total bandwidth that’s allowed to go through each interface. The FortiGate then distributes the bandwidth between the interfaces accordingly."

I think you need Spillover in your case.

Source: https://help.fortinet.com/fos60hlp/60/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-networking/SD-WAN/SD-WAN_load_balanc...

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors