Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
BrianB
New Contributor III

Managed fortiswitch alias?

Is there a way to associate an alias with a fortiswitch serial number? The managed switch controller GUI is great but it is slow (6.2). Modifying port vlans, etc. is just too time consuming in the GUI. From the cli, when I edit a switch via the switch controller, I edit then tab and it autocompletes using the switch serial number. Can I alias a serial number to a name like “switch1”? Thanks, Brian
3 REPLIES 3
thuynh_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Brian, thanks for the feedbacks.

>Is there a way to associate an alias with a fortiswitch serial number? Yes, in 6.2.0 GA you can modify the FSW's name from FGT GUI (see attached). Is this what you are looking for?

>The managed switch controller GUI is great but it is slow (6.2). Modifying port vlans, etc. is just too time consuming in the GUI.

Can you give a more specific examples of the steps? Which part is slow? Some screenshot would be great. 

>From the cli, when I edit a switch via the switch controller, I edit then tab and it autocompletes using the switch serial number. 

The CLI usecase is different but not sure where on the GUI would you expect to have a similar functionality? 

> Can I alias a serial number to a name like “switch1”? Yes, you can edit the FSW from FGT GUI > Managed FSW and add a name for it there.

BrianB
New Contributor III

Thuynh, yes I am aware that I can name the switches in the GUI. I was looking to create an alias for a switch that can be used from the cli. When I edit a switch in the cli, I can only do it by "edit serialnumber" of switch. I would like to alias a switch serial number to a common name, like "switch1" so that in the cli I can "edit switch1" instead of

"edit fn448dp9890302"

thuynh_FTNT

Thanks Brian for the suggestion but it's more complex to support it at CLI level. FYI we will be improving the performance for the FSW management page so you should be able to do most things in via the GUI.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors