Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

Compare To Cisco SG250 / SG350

New to FortiSwitch. Beyond the fact that you can manage the FortiSwitch via the FortiGate, what other differences are there between Cisco small business switches and FortiSwitch? What FortiSwitch would be comparable to the Cisco SG 250 and SG 350 switches?
1 Solution
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

You already named it, full management from a single pane. Enforcing firewall security up to each switch port incl. quarantine, easy deployment of VLANs, PoE or FullPoE models, resetting devices via PoE-up/down from the FGT etc.

Pro FortiSwitch:

low price to performance ratio (low price for ample performance)

variety of models

Con:

physical ports are either TP/RJ45 or SFP/SFP+/LC. I can imagine you could get Cisco switches which take port modules for other infrastructure (WAN ports, T1, ...). I doubt that the models you named are capable of this, though. And I personally haven't been in urge for this yet. An office environment doesn't ask for this neither.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
3 REPLIES 3
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

To better frame this question, the application that I'm researching at this time is a small business office with about 40 employees. They currently have two Cisco SG250 24 port POE switches. Moving to a new location and will need more ports.

Thanks!

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

You already named it, full management from a single pane. Enforcing firewall security up to each switch port incl. quarantine, easy deployment of VLANs, PoE or FullPoE models, resetting devices via PoE-up/down from the FGT etc.

Pro FortiSwitch:

low price to performance ratio (low price for ample performance)

variety of models

Con:

physical ports are either TP/RJ45 or SFP/SFP+/LC. I can imagine you could get Cisco switches which take port modules for other infrastructure (WAN ports, T1, ...). I doubt that the models you named are capable of this, though. And I personally haven't been in urge for this yet. An office environment doesn't ask for this neither.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
SecurityPlus

Thanks!
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors