Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
paulinster
New Contributor III

2 Tunnel SSID bounded to the same network

Hi Everyone, 

In order to test some functionality end user would require to be able to select either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band. Therefore what I was thinking to do is create 2 ssid wich each one will be bind to their own band.  

ssid 1: mynetwork --> 2.5Ghz band only

ssid 2: mynetwork --> 5Ghz band only

Preferably I would like that these 2 ssid are within the same subnet. I know that this could probably be done very easy using bridge mode, but due to the infrastructure, it would be much less pain if I can do it in tunnel mode. 

Is this somehting doable to have 2 different ssid belonging to the same subnet in tunnel mode? 

2 Solutions
bravishank_FTNT

Hello Paulinster,

You can achieve this using a Soft Switch Interface. 

In Network Interfaces, create a Soft Switch Interface, cofigure IP & DHCP and add both these WiFi Interfaces as members of that Soft Switch interface. Both of them will be under the same L3 Domain.

Thanks,

BR

Balaji

View solution in original post

JayD_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi,

Yes, this is doable. You need to add both these tunnel SSID under same software switch and then define network for this software switch. Wireless clients connecting to these two tunnel SSID will receive IP from same network.

Here is the document to create software switch and add tunnel interface under it.

https://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-networking-54/Interfaces/Software%20...

Let me know if you need additional information.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bravishank_FTNT

Hello Paulinster,

You can achieve this using a Soft Switch Interface. 

In Network Interfaces, create a Soft Switch Interface, cofigure IP & DHCP and add both these WiFi Interfaces as members of that Soft Switch interface. Both of them will be under the same L3 Domain.

Thanks,

BR

Balaji

paulinster

Hoooo Nice .. didn't think about using SoftSwitch .. 

So I guess I would leave the wifi interface's IP address to blank/0.0.0.0 and the L3 gw would belong to the softswitch ..  I'll give a try thanx !  :) . 

JayD_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi,

Yes, this is doable. You need to add both these tunnel SSID under same software switch and then define network for this software switch. Wireless clients connecting to these two tunnel SSID will receive IP from same network.

Here is the document to create software switch and add tunnel interface under it.

https://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-networking-54/Interfaces/Software%20...

Let me know if you need additional information.

paulinster
New Contributor III

Thanx all for you help .. I made changes and it's working very well :) 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors