Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
pj
New Contributor

Fortigate to act as a Router

I'm a newbie here, I have a WAN IP and public IPs from ISP. I want to used the Fortigate as the network firewall (directly connected to the WAN ISP) to pass all remote connections. Behind that Fortigate firewall are different firewalls (Cisco, Fortigate) for different networks that handle their own VPN connections. How do I configure the Fortigate to pass all the traffic from remote connections to go thru their own VPNs? 

5 REPLIES 5
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

To do that you need to have either an additional public subnet from your ISP for LAN side of the outside FGT or set up tricky VIPs to forward all VPN traffic to VPN FWs' local/private IPs. I said tricky because you need to use source-filter to identify which VPN goes which FW, which would break when the source IP changes. I definitely prefer the former that can be done by even a simple router, and move FW features to VPN FWs that would simplify routing traffic coming/going over VPNs. 

pj
New Contributor

I have a WAN IP and 5 public IPs that is given by the ISP. I'm planning on assigning the 5 public IPs to the local VPN FWs and have the outside FGT as GW for those public IPs and pass thru all remote sessions, so essentially the FW is being used as a router. Do I need to create policies to allow all traffic from the internet/remote sessions?

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

Nothing can pass through a FW without a policy. It doesn't matter if it's VPN or regular internet traffic.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Sound like your doing a  stack-outer-inner firewall, yes you need policy even a ANY policy would work but I would not see the benefit for doing this if your running two-firewalls. It would be wash or waste imho

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Agreed. You can't do anything with the tunnel traffic from a firewall perspective aside from throttling it or flat out denying/allowing traffic. I would just go with a (not too) cheap switch.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors