Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
vishal
New Contributor

Restoring backup to another fortigate

Hi Team, Currently I'm having an fortigate 200E running forti OS version 6.2.0 build 0866 (GA). Due to some power issue my fortigate didn't powering up and I had requested for RMA of same device. I already having an backup of my old fortigate device, so can I just restore that backup on my new fortigate device or if not what are the precaution/parameters I need to check before restoring my old device backup to new device. Any help will be highly appreciated. Regards, Vishal
8 REPLIES 8
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes you can.

0- you can manage the replacement unit by connecting to 192.168.199 via any (internal) port

1- make sure the replacement unit runs the same firmware; if not, upgrade

2- in CLI, run "exec factoryreset", just to make sure.

3- restore your old config

You will probably have to change this setting in CLI:

conf sys global

set alias "<FG2H...>"

end

as this is the serial number of the FGT.

4- go to the Customer Service portal, log in, "Assets", "manage", in the left menu click "RMA". Now enter the serial number of the new unit. Your associated contracts will be reassigned to the new unit.

5- now you can run "exec update-now" in the CLI. Check later that the AV signatures have been updated.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
vishal

Hi Ede_pfau, First, thank you for your help. As I'm doing an RMA of same fortigate device of same model no i.e 200E, then would I need to change any config-version, conf_file_ver or build no from my new unit backup file to old faulty unit backup file before restoring all configuration to new unit. Please help. Regards, Vishal
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

No need to change anything. I believe you can restore that cfg to the appliance just upgrade the appliance to he same firmware-rev which you will find within  the 1st top 3 lines of the conf  "config-version=BLABLAHBLAH:vdom=:user=

etc.....

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

No, you won't have to change any of the top 3 lines in the old config file.

Just check the points I mentioned in addition. The replacement will run even without that but ...

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
vishal

Thank you ede_pfau for your guidance. Regards, Vishal
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

If you haven't been keeping up to date with firmware updates, you may have to back down the level on the new device. This is OK since you won't need to worry about a configuration on that box at the onset. Just make sure when the firmware level is where you want it to execute a factory-reset on the new box, just to be sure.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
JasonK

Is there anything besides the backed up config that one might need to worry about, say certificates? 

sw2090
Honored Contributor

yes certifcates and licenses.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors